PDA

View Full Version : First Steps for real noob

Murro
05-13-2009, 09:28 AM
Hello,

I'm running Knoppix 6.0 (the normal, not the speaking or the lite one) on a flash memory and I am totaly noob.

my intention were to use knoppix as base for all avaible knoppix programs and to use a windows emulator for not avaible knoppix programs.

First problems..

1. How configure I my keyboard (I use a swiss german one)

2. how do I install Adobe flash player?

3. How do I install anz programm?

4. How is it with emulators?

Thx

OErjan
05-13-2009, 11:14 AM
two of your questions i can answer right away,

flashplayer should be easy, open a terminal and type

sudo apt-get install flashplugin-nonfree

and
emulator, uhm,
sudo apt-get install wine
then you run winecfg, you can do this by typing "winecfg" in the terminal or looking it up in the menu (under system I think)

if you wish you can use synaptic to insall programs instead of the terminal, synaptic will show a loooong list of available and installed programs and has a search function.
just avoid updating, i have from experience found that to break things.

Murro
05-13-2009, 04:26 PM
Fantastic! I didn't know it was so different from Windows (noob)

I will try wine.

Thankyou very much

OErjan
05-13-2009, 11:32 PM
you are welcome, keep asking we are several here that will answer as long as you ask and are not too harsh in your replies.

actualy you are likely to get more answers if you give a few words in the subjec line whe posting the question, in this case say," flash and emulator help wanted" or "how do i install flashplayer.

another thing, what the (=)? is anz? it may help me in helping you if you tell me that.

as for keyboard, when you first see the line with
boot:
you type

knoppix lang=se
if you want a Swedish keyboard layout (like me) , de is a possible candidate for you, or whatever language you would like, i can really recommend you to check out the link below, it has quite a bit of information.
http://www.knoppix.net/wiki/Cheat_Codes
also
http://www.knoppix.net/wiki/Category:FAQ_Page
is a good place for information.

OErjan
05-13-2009, 11:37 PM
oh, another thing, when you install something in wine you go to that directorey and rightclick on the file you want to run, the choose "open with wine" should work for many things but not all...