PDA

View Full Version : Keep getting Error message when mounting WinXP Partition

marhil711
05-23-2009, 08:56 PM
Hi,

first of all, I've been fiddling with Linux in the past, but it was never intense enough to solve this myself.

After installing Knoppix 6.0.1 on a zip-drive, I could at first access all partitions on my HD, where WinXP, as well as all my files are located. Then I decided to use the automatic Installation of the flashplayer and other components.
Suddenly after reboot I wasn't able to mount the partitions of the HD. All the time I get this message: "org.freedesktop.Hal.Device.Volume.UnknownFailure" and "org.freedesktop.Hal.Device.Volume.UnknownFailure" and (in German): "the folder does not exist".

What I have found out myself is that there are entries in the /etc/fstab for these partitions:

# DEFAULT BASE FSTAB, UNCONFIGURED
proc /proc proc noauto 0 0
sysfs /sys sysfs noauto 0 0
# Added by KNOPPIX
/dev/sda1 /media/sda1 vfat noauto,users,exec,umask=000,shortname=winnt,uid=kn oppix,gid=knoppix 0 0
# Added by KNOPPIX
/dev/sda2 /media/sda2 ntfs noauto,users,exec,umask=000,uid=knoppix,gid=knoppi x 0 0
# Added by KNOPPIX
/dev/sda5 /media/sda5 ntfs noauto,users,exec,umask=000,uid=knoppix,gid=knoppi x 0 0
# Added by KNOPPIX
/dev/sdb1 /media/sdb1 vfat noauto,users,exec,umask=000,shortname=winnt,uid=kn oppix,gid=knoppix 0 0
# Added by KNOPPIX
/dev/sr0 /media/sr0 auto ro,noauto,users,exec 0 0

but all the folders in /media are all missing except for /dev/sr0

As user "knoppix" I'm not allowed to create these folders, only when I make myself "root" I can.
Also even when these folders are created, only "root" can mount the partitions.
And after a reboot, the folders are gone.

I thought on knoppix the user "knoppix" would have all rights of "root".

Since the folders are missing, it's clear to me that I can't mount the HD partitions.
Shouldn't these folders be created automaticly?

I hope someone can make some sense of it. Your help is appreciated.

Thanks in advance
Markus

marhil711
05-23-2009, 11:07 PM
In the meantime I have found out that there is at least another thread with the same issue: http://www.knoppix.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=29618.
The third answer talks about the script "rebuildfstab" in /usr/sbin. This guy didn't get it back to work, but I did using the -force parameter.
This still leaves the question why it need the -force?
Anyone have some deeper knowledge about how this works?

Markus