PDA

View Full Version : Printing via SMC Barricade 7004BR

Eradicator
06-05-2003, 02:04 PM
Hi,

I am trying to configure Knoppix to allow me to print via my SMC Barricade 7004 router that has a print server. I have tried Knoppix>Configure>Printers with no luck.

Can someone help me here? How should I set this up? It is a HP842c Deskjet. I tried using the address of the router as the address for the printer. It currently works fine uder Win98 and XP but even when I use the address shown in their configs it does not work. Is there a specific port I need to use?

Please help!

Thanks

Eradicator
06-10-2003, 03:01 PM
Nobody has configured their printer on a router?

Please

rec9140
06-10-2003, 04:38 PM
Hi,

I am trying to configure Knoppix to allow me to print via my SMC Barricade 7004 router that has a print server. I have tried Knoppix>Configure>Printers with no luck.

Can someone help me here? How should I set this up? It is a HP842c Deskjet. I tried using the address of the router as the address for the printer. It currently works fine uder Win98 and XP but even when I use the address shown in their configs it does not work. Is there a specific port I need to use?

Add the printer thru CUPS as an LPR printer using the IP address for the router, and port 501, and the specific port name that SMC gave the port.

I use a similar standalone printer server that plugs into the back of my Lexmark Optra E+ Laser to share it on my LAN.

I am not at the machine that has this setup to pull the exact steps off, but will follow when I can get to that machine.

Eradicator
06-10-2003, 04:51 PM
Thanks rec,

When you say the following:

"and the specific port name that SMC gave the port" what do you mean? I know the IP of the router and will try that port but I am not sure what you mean by the name I was given by SMC. Can you give me some examples of what it might be. Would I be able to find it on my WinXP or Win98 machine?

Thanks in advance

Eradicator
06-10-2003, 04:57 PM
Rec....

This is all I could find at the SMC website....Since I am such a newb at Linux/Knoppix this might as well be Greek....

Does the print server work under Linux? How do I set it up?
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Yes, the Barricade provides Line Printer Daemon. Users of Linux have to set up /etc/printcap and the queue name is "lp". The following is an example for Red Hat

Linux release 5.1:

# /etc/printcap

hp6p::sd=/var/spool/lpd/hp6p::rm=192.168.123.254::rp=lp::lp=/dev/null::sh:

hp2100::sd=/var/spool/lpd/hp2100::rm=192.168.123.253::rp=lp::lp=/dev/null::sh:

--------------------------------------------------

Eradicator
06-10-2003, 07:26 PM
Also do you mean select CUPS as the "Print System Currently Used" when I try to configure this via K>Knoppix>Configure>Configure Printer(s)? If I select CUPS then there is no option for a LPR printer on the next screen but I can select LPR as the "Print System Currently Used" but then I have no idea what to put in the Name, Description, Location, Command Settings fields.... Which is it?

Thanks for being so patient....

Add the printer thru CUPS as an LPR printer using the IP address for the router, and port 501, and the specific port name that SMC gave the port.

I use a similar standalone printer server that plugs into the back of my Lexmark Optra E+ Laser to share it on my LAN.

I am not at the machine that has this setup to pull the exact steps off, but will follow when I can get to that machine.

Eradicator
06-11-2003, 01:55 PM
After trying many things I think I have it figured it out. I need to add a LPD printer under CUPS with my IP address and lp as the qeue name.

BUT now I have a new problem. I can not get my preferences saved. I tried saving them via the Knoppix tab but when I reboot and try "Knoppix myconfig=scan" (no quotes) they do not load. They seemed to work a few days ago....now it seems it can't find the file. Should I set up a persistent home? Would the "knoppix home=scan" command be used then?

Also if I want to specify the drive it should look to for these files and it always shows hda1 and hda5 can I write "Knoppix myconfig=dev/hda1" or is it "Knoppix myconfig=/mnt/hda1" as the pop up window states when I save my config?

And last, why don't I have hda1 and hda2???

Thanks again

zellophan
09-17-2003, 01:09 AM
hi,

the problem is not cups . smc uses different ports to connect the ptrmate.
so just use direct connection on the specific port, not the standard 9100!

these ports are:

(9100)

to get your printserver port just do:

willix:~ # nmap 192.168.123.254
Starting nmap V. 3.00 ( www.insecure.org/nmap/ )
Interesting ports on (192.168.123.254):
(The 1598 ports scanned but not shown below are in state: closed)
Port State Service
80/tcp open http
88/tcp open kerberos-sec
515/tcp open printer

Nmap run completed -- 1 IP address (1 host up) scanned in 25 seconds

then everything should work fine with lprng and cups.

:shock:

cu