PDA

View Full Version : How do I merge Wifi adapter driver into the Knoppix CD?

sittingcamel
05-28-2009, 10:26 PM
Hi all,
My laptop has an "Intel(R) Pro/Wireless 2200BG Network connection" wifi adapter. When I boot from Knoppix the LED denoting enabled status of the wifi adapter remains off. I've tried to enable it, somewhere I did read the SSID of my wifi network from Knoppix, this tells me that the laptop might be able to see it, but I'm not sure how, since the wifi adapter appears disabled.

I found a driver for my adapter on linux here: http://ipw2200.sourceforge.net/
I have downloaded it but I have no idea how to install it into Knoppix, either by adding it to the CD or by installing it after booting from KNoppix

any clues will be greatly appreciated.
cheers

sittingcamel
05-29-2009, 10:17 PM
Additional info:
lspci -v give me this:
"06:06.0 Network controller: Intel Corporation PRO/Wireless 2200BG Network Connection (rev 05)
Subsystem: Hewlett-Packard Company Unknown device 12f6
Flags: bus master, medium devsel, latency 32, IRQ 17
Memory at b0107000 (32-bit, non-prefetchable) [size=4K]
Capabilities: <access denied>"

I wonder why access is denied? Is it because there is no driver installed for this device or ...... some other configuration is required?

[/code]

seballa
05-31-2009, 09:08 PM
if the ssid is shown on the laptop there must be working driver.
Have you tried starting the desktop environment (just type knoppix in the boot menu or choose desktop environment in adriane menu? Many wlan cards are supported and you might be able to connect just by clicking on the symbol in the task panel

Cheers Seballa

OErjan
06-01-2009, 04:02 PM
what does
sudo iwconfig&&sudo ifconfig say?

sittingcamel
06-06-2009, 06:44 PM
what does
sudo iwconfig&&sudo ifconfig say?

Below is the output from your suggested commandline.
Incidentally I nearly had a heart attack when trying to print the output to a file on my C: drive.
I used this > to send the output to a text file on C:, I received a message: cannot write, I then made the C: drive writable to try again. Then I received a message .. the file has been deleted, (I wrote to it when it was still open) Bad idea! .. I chose to save this it again, went to look in C: to check it had been written as expected, and there were no files, nada, nothing in the C: drive!! I thought I had hosed my C: drive. Thankfully after I rebooted to Windows there was no problem, XP is still intact.phew, I should create a backup! ..

Anyhoo here is the ouptput from the commandline ... what it tells you I will be interested to hear:

sudo iwconfig&&sudo ifconfig

lo no wireless extensions.

eth0 no wireless extensions.

eth1 unassociated ESSID:off/any
Mode:Managed Channel=0 Access Point: Not-Associated
Bit Rate:0 kb/s Tx-Power=20 dBm Sensitivity=8/0
Retry limit:7 RTS thr:off Fragment thr:off
Encryption key:off
Power Management:off
Link Quality:0 Signal level:0 Noise level:0
Rx invalid nwid:0 Rx invalid crypt:0 Rx invalid frag:0
Tx excessive retries:0 Invalid misc:0 Missed beacon:0

lo Link encap:Local Loopback
inet addr:127.0.0.1 Mask:255.0.0.0
inet6 addr: ::1/128 Scope:Host
UP LOOPBACK RUNNING MTU:16436 Metric:1
RX packets:30 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 frame:0
TX packets:30 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:0
collisions:0 txqueuelen:0
RX bytes:1500 (1.4 KiB) TX bytes:1500 (1.4 KiB)