PDA

View Full Version : Help with Knoppix 5.1 and saving documents from HD

johnnyseriuss
06-01-2009, 09:41 PM
Hi guys,
I am using Knoppix 5.1 in order to fix my windows xp partion drive and it looks complicated so far.
I'm able to click on the Hard Disk drive on linux but it gives me a warning sign that says
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
(Warning:Dirty Volume mount was forced by the 'force' mount option).
Fusemount: mountpoint is not empty

Fusermount: if you are sure this is safe, use the 'nonempty' mount option

Failed to create Fuse mount point: No such file or directory

Retry to create Fuse mount point
FATAL: module fuse not found
fusermount: mountpoint is not empty
fusermount: if you are sure this is safe, use the 'nonempty' mount option

Faile to create Fuse mount point: No such file or directory

Unmounting/dev/hda1()

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
After I click on that I click on my HD with no problems after that no errors or anything now onto my external.

When I Click on my external hard drive which is connected through my usb 2.0 port and I get this error.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------
Could Not Device:
The Reported error was:
Error reading bootsector: Input/output error
Failed to startup volume: Input/output error
Failed to mount '/devdsa1':Input/output error

NTFS is incosistend. Run chkdsk/f on windows then reboot it twice.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I click on my external for 2 times, I get the same error, not until the third time I finally get to see my files.

I try copy my picture folder onto one of external hd folder using control c and control v. I get this box that says copy files in progress and it say stalled while its reading the amount of folders and files. Afterward it cannot copy it says this error:

could not make folder/media/sda1/newfolder

So guys can someone please help me out.

Also can someone also help me point out on how to use this OS because I can't figure how to setup the network to get internet and be able to master this OS...

johnnyseriuss
06-01-2009, 09:42 PM
I forgot to say what Im trying to do is copy some files from my hard drive onto my external HD how do i do it. Like said before I get these errors and I dont understand them.

Thank you

johnnyseriuss
06-02-2009, 08:00 AM
Nobody knows or do I have this in the wrong forum??? :( :(

ndb
06-02-2009, 10:47 AM
I assume you have a serious problem with XP and are unable to boot. Can you tell us if the external HD, that you are writing to, is NTFS or FAT? If it's NTFS, then you can't safely write to it. The dirty volume message sounds like serious corruption of the NTFS HD.

johnnyseriuss
06-02-2009, 10:58 PM
Yes I cannot boot XP and I get the blue screen of death. I tried using the XP repair but with no success. The internal HD is NTFS and the external drive is NTFS.

So what do I do I can see and Open my files on both drives but I cant copy the info from the Internal HD to the External HD. Do i convert the external into FAT and then I will be able to copy files?

By the way I figured out how to get internet connection silly me my cable was connected from the router lol.

ndb
06-03-2009, 10:29 AM
The best option might be to use a flash drive if you have any handy. They're usually FAT formatted. I wouldn't bet cash on copying to a NTFS partition.

ckamin
06-30-2009, 12:34 AM
I would suggest using a Window$ based bootable disc, such as Windows PE or Bart PE. That way, you'd be using the native NTFS drivers from Micro$oft and not Linux drivers. There is a chance of corrupting an NTFS partition using Linux drivers to write to it. You can always format an external drive to Fat or Fat32 and write to it safely. You would lose most of the attributes on the folders and files, so they will not work the same way in Window$ again. That might not always be a bad thing.

I would suggest looking through the Micro$oft sites to find a solution to the Window$ error. Some of these are not as complex as you might think. Usually, when someone "asks" for help, they have already compounded the original problem by doing further damage in an attempt(s) to fix it.

When you find yourself in a deep hole, the first thing to do is stop digging. :)

borgward
12-23-2009, 07:36 AM
Window$ based bootable disc, such as Windows PE or Bart PE.

Where to get?