PDA

View Full Version : Connect Knoppix 6.0.1 LIVE CD to network share

rkolech
06-07-2009, 05:49 AM
Hello everyone. I would like to use KNOPPIX to backup some files from an NTFS share that no longer boots.
I can see my share in KNOPPIX and would like to move the files to a network share on my spare PC.
I am not sure how to connect to a network share in KNOPPIX though, I am online and I can ping the my spare XP PC.

I have looked into Samba but it seems its not installed. The smb://server/share commands gives an Error.

Not sure what my options are here. I am new to LINUX is there an easy way to connect to network share on Knoppix 6.0.1 live CD?

rusty
06-07-2009, 02:14 PM
I've been using pyNeighborhood as graphical samba tool. It has to be installed, you can use Synaptic Package Manager if you have a internet connection.

Here's a brief howto (http://www.freesoftwaremagazine.com/articles/connecting_linux_to_windows_servers_using_pyneighb orhood)

Good luck

rkolech
06-08-2009, 02:07 AM
I was able to get around this by using the 5.1.1 CD instead. It has samba so it was quite easy to connect to windows share.
I am going to try and use pyNeighborhood on 6.0.1, but I am curious, would I have to install it every time I started the live CD. From what I experienced all my changes are lost every time I shut down. Nothing is ever saved. I understand this is because its on a CD the system can't write to a CD.

I have gotten a 4GB USB flash drive and installed the 5.1.1 CD to boot off the USB flash drive, but still noting is saved. How can I make it so my settings are saved after a restart?