PDA

View Full Version : xCDRoast slow - what/how can I turn off services?

bilzer
06-05-2003, 02:56 PM
AMD 300mhz k-62 128mb memory 135mb swap usb2 cd-rw on installed knoppix
I see memory just to run knoppix with only the memory check running leaves only about 35mb free.
xCDRoast (apparently need to be in root) is hard to start up, slow.
Is this a memory problem?
What and how do I turn off unnecessary services if that's my problem?
Thanks for any help.

god
06-05-2003, 03:11 PM
set it up right, and any one can run it. since you didnt set it up correctly for users ( i am assuming, since you said rootis the only one that can use it) I am also wondering if you changed the max burn speed on it?

Stephen
06-05-2003, 05:20 PM
You need more ram even though you can run with what you have it is using the swap on the hd. One thing you can do though is to make sure DMA is turned on for the HD. To check in a root console hdparm /dev/hd? checks current settings. other hdparm options:

hdparm -Tt /dev/hd? - Tests hard drive speed
hdparm -d1 /dev/hd? - Turns on DMA
hdparm -i /dev/hd? - If drive chipset supports it tells you drive info.

Another option you may want is either -c1 or -c3 to turn on 32 bit support.

man hdparm for complete options.

When you get the settings the way you want them you can put them in /etc/init.d/bootmisc.sh to start at boot ( the dma settings may already be there commented out )

Replace the ? with your drive letter above.
Settings I use:

# enable DMA
/sbin/hdparm -q -d1 -X66 -u1 -c3 /dev/hdc
/sbin/hdparm -q -d1 -c3 /dev/hda

With the hdc I went from ~4mb/sec it was using to 28mb/sec on the 64mb reads. As always this works for me YMMV.

Also with your xcdroast there are settings in the config to allow non-root users you have to add yourself to allowed users. Or you can edit /etc/sudoers file with the command visudo and add an entry for yourself. example line:

knoppix HappyTux=NOPASSWD: /usr/bin/xcdroast

This allows the user knoppix on machine HappyTux to use xcdroast as root. This is added to the user privilege specification.

bilzer
06-06-2003, 12:50 AM
Thanks for the replies. At the moment I cant get onto installed Koppix - see another post.
Are you saying I cannot gain anything by turning off some services that are running?
For instance, couldn't I shut down a logging service, or CUPS? I havent found yet how to find out what is actually running on Knoppix where I could shut something down.