PDA

View Full Version : WiFi Encryptioon Key?

borgward
06-21-2009, 12:33 AM
Hi I am on vacation on an Island on Lake Erie. I am not able to use the wifi here w/linux box. I am using 2 identical laptops, one w/ Knoppix 5.1.1, and the other running XP. To make long story short. The winders box provided me w/a gui to input the name of the wifi network here, and the encryption key. I have got the linux box to identify the wifi, but I need to know how to input the encryption key. Please help.

Borgward

OErjan
06-21-2009, 09:07 AM
open a console and type

sudo iwconfig ath0 essid "any" channel auto key "s:encryptionkey" ap any
the s: is needed if the key is ascii (alphanumeric) if i is hex (13 numbers and letters from a to f only).
if no go try without the s:

sudo iwconfig ath0 essid "any" channel auto key "encryptionkey" ap any

borgward
06-21-2009, 05:19 PM
OK, I entered in root shell:
iwconfig eth0 essid s:(key) ap any

The Kwlan icon at the bottom right of the screen flashed message eth0 is connected. and the righ hand part of it is blue, but I still can not get to google or anything else. I can not edit the profile either. I opened the Kwlan Network Profiles, selected the profile, clicked on Edit, Networkconfig comes up w/Security Settings. The Profile name / ssid is displayed in a dim manner, and I can not make selections on any of the drop downs. Authentication is currently displayed as Plaintext or static WEP, and Encryption is None. All these options are displayed very dimly, and can not be changed.

OErjan
06-25-2009, 10:51 AM
try to open kwifimanager from tthe console with

sudo kwifimanager