PDA

View Full Version : KNOPPIX 5.3.1 on Usb

Gemu
07-02-2009, 10:52 PM
Greetings! I am trying to get Knoppix 5.3.1 booting on a 16 gig flash drive and I keep getting the old cant find file routine, sorry.

It seems knoppix always sees the usb as the last hd on the system though grub will see it as hd 0,0. I have two on board HDs and was thinking I should refer to it as /dev/sdc1 but am uncertain.

Most tutorials I have read say to list your usb as /dev/sda1or 0,0 for grubs sake., is knoppix different?

Also I read somewhere that you can't have more than one knoppix on a machine without it creating havoc. Supposedly you have to rename your Knoppix folders knoppix1,2,3 etc, and edit your menu.lst accordingly so there is no confusion. Is there any truth to that?

Thanks in advance for any advice.

Gemu
07-03-2009, 01:54 PM
I got it booting on the lap top but apparently I changed something internally on my desktop machine because now my 5.3.1 iso won't boot from HD, nor will my 5.1.1 live usb and obviously my new 5.3.1 usb will not boot. I'm getting the same error message on all three.

insmod can not insert /cdrom/Knoppix/modules/cloop.ko
invalid module format (-1):Execute format error.

I feel like I changed something on my machine because 5.3.1 iso has been booting for some time now with no problems and 5.1.1 usb even longer.

I was trying to look into minirt.gz inside isolinux for the first time just to see whats in there and I dont know maybe I messed something up. I uncompressed minirt.gz and attempted to mount it, couldn't get it to mount so I deleted it and put the minirt.gz backup in its place. After that I haven't been able to boot Knoppix. Any suggestions??