PDA

View Full Version : see windows hidden files with knoppix

arami1
07-08-2009, 04:40 PM
Hello
My stationary compaq Pentium 4 computer has recently crashed. When I start up windows xp it cannot boot into normal, failsafe or the 2 other modes. That is why I have made a Knoppix 5.1.1 LiveCD and have been able to transfer all my pictures and files to an external hard drive. My only problem now is that I had hidden a folder with important files and images in Windows XP, and those I can not find with Knoppix. Another thing that maybe could make it harder to find the folder is that in the hidden folders name is included the letter "æ", because i am from Denmark, dont know if that makes a big deal.
Hope someone can help me?

ArmoredCoreRaven
08-13-2009, 06:54 AM
I am using a Knoppix Lunix live cd thing that my friend told me to use because my computer doesn''t work and is giving me blue screens when I try to start it up, even with the safe modes, and the original windows xp home cd I have did nothing to help me...

I have lots of files with the letters å, ä, and ö in the filenames on several different harddrives, and on all my NTFS drives they seem to have all disappeared, both on the internal and external harddrives that are NTFS drives.

All similar files with å, ä, and ö in the filenames on my FAT drives, however, show up with a black square (like the diamond in a deck of cards) with a questionmark in them, but I can still see and access those files normally.

Knoppix is also set to use a US (or UK) layout on the keyboard, so I had to look up those three letters so I could copy&paste them into this post, because when I press the buttons with å, ä, and ö on my keyboard it types out [, ' and ; instead! As you can imagine that helps to complicate things for me ever more. :(

So, my question is:

How can I access the files with å, ä, and ö in the filenames on my NTFS drives?

I can't save my files unless I can reach them, so I would really appreciate help with enabling files with å, ä, and ö in the filename to be shown in Knoppix, either that or does anyone know of any other OS I can use to access my data by only using my CD-ROM? My friend mentioned something called Ubuntu... but I won't get talk to him again for help for at least another day or two, so any help from you guys would be great. I'm starting to panic because I am not familiar with the technical side of computers.

Please, help me...

Harry Kuhman
08-13-2009, 07:06 AM
The non-English character issue is a common complaint. Never see it myself so I don't pay much attention to it, but I think I remember seeing someone post recently that he resolved the issue simply by booting into the German version of Knoppix (using the cheat code if you have an EN cd or just booting a DE cd without a cheat code). As I say, I have no real experience with this, just passing along something someone else posted here, so it may or may not work.

ArmoredCoreRaven
08-13-2009, 07:34 AM
Thank you for quick answer! I will give that a try.

chip.ling
08-14-2009, 03:44 AM
Or if you willing to use command lines to perform the copying, you can use the cp command together with the wild card characters ("*").

For example, on the directory /photo you have 50 files on it, 30 of them are files containing accent characters on the file name but with the extension .jpg. And you want to copy these 30 files to your external drive mount at /media/sda1

So all you have to do is to issue the command

$ cp /photo/*.jpg /media/sda1

Or just copy the whole directory content to the external drive

$ cp /photo/* /media/sda1

Then handle all the copied files on another windows box with the external drive plug in.

Rgds,
Chip

ckamin
08-14-2009, 04:43 AM
Just a quick and dumb question. Why not access the Windows drive with Windows? There are live disks that you can create, such as Bart PE or download the Windows PE from Microsoft. You can extract or create the disk image and burn it. It is a live Windows disk that works similarly to Knoppix and will basically read and write to a Windows partition without the risks of using Linux. You should also be able to put the drive in an external enclosure and hook it up to another Windows machine to recover the files. If the drive is corrupted, you have a beter chance of fixing it within Windows than using an unfamiliar OS. Just be sure to use the proper language version of Windows when you create or download the PE disks.

Here's an old link to some Slackware documentation for configuration in Danish:

http://slackware.osuosl.org/slackware-3.3/docs/Danish-HOWTO

Since Knoppix is based on Debian, there may be some useful resources here:

http://www.debian.org/international/Danish/

Here is a little on The PE disks:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Windows_Preinstallation_Environment

aquamon
11-24-2009, 05:45 AM
Just a quick and dumb question. Why not access the Windows drive with Windows? There are live disks that you can create, such as Bart PE or download the Windows PE from Microsoft. You can extract or create the disk image and burn it. It is a live Windows disk that works similarly to Knoppix and will basically read and write to a Windows partition without the risks of using Linux. You should also be able to put the drive in an external enclosure and hook it up to another Windows machine to recover the files. If the drive is corrupted, you have a beter chance of fixing it within Windows than using an unfamiliar OS. Just be sure to use the proper language version of Windows when you create or download the PE disks.

Here's an old link to some Slackware documentation for configuration in Danish:

http://slackware.osuosl.org/slackware-3.3/docs/Danish-HOWTO

Since Knoppix is based on Debian, there may be some useful resources here:

http://www.debian.org/international/Danish/

Here is a little on The PE disks:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Windows_Preinstallation_Environment

Yeah, BartPe is better for that than Knoppix, I have found out. You will have to know how to change file/folder PERMISSIONS...
Make sure you have it to show hidden files! or just stay away from the HawkPe version.