PDA

View Full Version : old knoppix isos

muscleheadbob
07-12-2009, 08:39 PM
I am looking for a mirror where i can download older knoppix distros. i am constantly coming into contact with older celeron machines that need to be booted from an alternative operating system to recover the important files. Ubuntu is at odds with the older celeron machines and knoppix 5.0 can get hung up too. knoppix 5.1 actually brought up a video problem where the screen is split top to bottom.

don999
07-13-2009, 04:54 AM
well if you have video problems and you don't mind text mode, you could just try booting knoppix into text mode with "knoppix 2" at the boot prompt, and maybe try "knoppix 2 vga=ask" to boot into text mode and ask for a list of text modes.

Try the lowest number that will work properly or just "vga=0"

Text mode is actually pretty cool with switching consoles with CTRL+ALT+F1 through CTRL+ALT+F4 and backscroll with Right shift + Page up.

And if you want to switch to the full graphical X, just type startx at the command prompt.

muscleheadbob
07-13-2009, 03:05 PM
and if i wasnt such a n00b, i'd be using text mode all the time anyway... i should.. not just for the respect i'd get in the user-community either.
I managed to salvage the files we were trying to get.. it was also fun trying to remember how to change folder read/write permissions with the screen all screwed up like that.. i managed to search on another computer and visualize the right click menu.... it was a rough day,, chmod wasnt even working in terminal.

i told my cousin,, "this is why you pay the extra money for athlon or pentium class processors"

thank you so much for your help.

computerophil
07-16-2009, 12:22 AM
I am looking for a mirror where i can download older knoppix distros. i am constantly coming into contact with older celeron machines that need to be booted from an alternative operating system to recover the important files. Ubuntu is at odds with the older celeron machines and knoppix 5.0 can get hung up too. knoppix 5.1 actually brought up a video problem where the screen is split top to bottom.

I on my HomePage have made a Downloadlist for older Knoppix in german

but there is also the link of ftp://linux-ds.unidu.hr/knoppix with the oldest downloads of Knoppix in english that I could find starting with v.3.4

muscleheadbob
07-16-2009, 04:42 PM
i am downloading from that english speaking site right now.

WaKa
07-17-2009, 01:04 AM
http://knopper.net/knoppix-mirrors/index-en.html

don999
07-17-2009, 01:27 AM
you could try this (this should work to put you into a graphical interface)

knoppix xmodule=vesa

(should use vesa driver for X)

or also try

knoppix xmodule=fbdev fb800x600

(should use the framebuffer driver for X)

don999
07-17-2009, 01:52 AM
whoops sorry for the framebuffer driver that's:

fb800x600 (all by itself on the command line)

or

knoppix xmodule=fbdev

=========================

from http://codeidol.com/unix/knoppix/Boot-Knoppix/6-Straighten-Out-Your-X-Settings/

Just as you can tell Knoppix to run X directly through the framebuffer with the xmodule=fbdev cheat code, you can tell the Linux console to run through the framebuffer by passing fb along with the resolution you want to use. The fb cheat code is a bit different from most of the cheat codes in that it actually is specifying a special set of predefined kernel parameters to run the console at a specific resolution. To boot Knoppix into a 1280 1024 framebuffer console, type:

fb1280x1024

Do not type the following command at the command line:

knoppix fb1280x1024