PDA

View Full Version : Error trying to use Knoppix first time

Howard Kaikow
07-18-2009, 06:39 PM
I created a Knoppix 6.0.1 CD.

Booted the computer. Got messesages.

Could not mount disk to /mnt-system. Starting debugging shell.
sh: can't access tty: job control turned off
/#

When I entered "help", "init"was highlighted.

What do I need to do to get knoppix to boot from CD?

FYI, all hard drives are SCSI.

Howard Kaikow
07-19-2009, 06:16 AM
Here's more info:

The desktop has a SCSI CD-ROM drive (running off an Adaptec 2940UW), and an ATAPI CD-RW.

The failure mentioned in my origanal post was found using the SCSI CD-ROM drive.

I then tried on a notebook with an ATAPI CD/DVD writing drive.
Boot succeeded, but I did notice that the wireless network was not recognized. A few icons appeared in the panel at the bottom of the Window.

I then went back to the desktop, this time usin the ATAPI CD-RW drive.

The boot seemed to work, BUT, other than the network icon, no other icons appeared in the panel. The desktop is much slower than the notebook, maybe the icons would hav eappeared after many minutes, but I was not about to wait. I could not figure out how to reboot, so I had to power down. Bye thee waye, the network icon did recognize the wired network, as the desktop is wired to the router, whilst the notebook is wireless.

I then tried again, with the CD in the SCSI CD-ROM drive. Same error as in my original post.

I have no trouble booting an Ubuntu Live CD.

Perhaps, the speed, or lack thereof, of the desktop accounted for the icons not appearing when using the ATAPI CD-RW.

I find it hard to believe that there's a problem using a SCSI CD-ROM drive via an Adaptec 2940UW, but that may be a problem.

Howard Kaikow
07-19-2009, 04:47 PM
Yet more info.

I can boot with an Ubuntu 9.4 CD.
I can boot with a http://www.SystemRscueCd.org/ CD.

So the problem does lie in Knoppix.