PDA

View Full Version : Access NTFS partition

naxinax
07-22-2009, 11:50 AM
Hi all! :D

I use Knoppix CD to access a machine that run Microsoft Windows XP on NTFS partition. The CD boots ok, but it can not mount any volume. I don't know why this occurs? I made this hundreds time before and easily mount any NTFS volume. The difference is this Windows is joined to a domain. Do you all have any idea?
Please help me? :cry:

labero
07-24-2009, 09:14 PM
To be able to run a live Linux CD (as Knoppix) on a machine with Windows already installed you have probably in the BIOS Setup given the CD the highest boot priority.
With a stubborn PC this might sometimes not be enough. Sometimes you have to disable the hard drive (where Windows resides) as a bootable device. If you do this it may in some cases cause the hard drive not to register. And as a consequence not mount. This has happened to me. It will do no harm checking out.

naxinax
07-31-2009, 12:42 PM
Thank for ur help!
In my case, after i booted from Knoppix, i can see all volumes of my hard drive. It knows all these partitions is formatted with NTFS but it can not mount them. Before i join my machine to a domain, this did not occur. I thinks there are some differences in the NTFS on domain control machine with the workgroup machine cause Knoppix can not mount.

Anyone have any ideas?