PDA

View Full Version : Wifi From Command Line

borgward
07-26-2009, 07:38 PM
Wifi has been out of operation since I started Knoppix w/CNet USB Dongle plugged in. The CNet icon still comes up along with Kwlan icon every time I boot up. What files do I need to look at in regards to wifi settings? I can not make any changes using the KWlan gui. (I had been running the laptop on an Xubuntu HDD which works w/the CNet USB wifi dongle. I forgot to remove it and plug in the Netgear card that works w/Knoppix.)

chip.ling
08-13-2009, 04:46 AM
Wifi has been out of operation since I started Knoppix w/CNet USB Dongle plugged in. The CNet icon still comes up along with Kwlan icon every time I boot up. What files do I need to look at in regards to wifi settings? I can not make any changes using the KWlan gui. (I had been running the laptop on an Xubuntu HDD which works w/the CNet USB wifi dongle. I forgot to remove it and plug in the Netgear card that works w/Knoppix.)

Don't seems to have much information from what you have done. I bet you have the knoppix installed on your hd and that's why it keeps the last setting.

If you try to look for command-line commands on activating the Netgear wireless card, check out the Q1 on the following FAQ. That's how I activate my Netgear WG511T wireless card from knoppix boot from the CD. (I use knoppix from the live CD only)

http://www.knoppix.net/wiki/Network_Wireless_for_Knoppix_5.3.1_FAQ

Rgds,
Chip

sbininit
08-18-2009, 11:30 AM
I got my linksys usb adapter working in knx 5.3.1 finally. I'm not sure how to edit the make file to specify the 2.6.24.4 linux kernel when installing it though.

I also have to manualy load the driver rt2870sta.ko using : insmod rt2870sta.ko

/etc/rc.local doesnt load it on start up. I dont know if the script is enabled.

at the bottom of rc.local it says:
In order to enable or disable this script just change the execution
# bits.
Thats fine and dandy but I dont know how to change the execution bits

I have to pull it up with ifconfig ra0 up and then configure it with Knoppix on board network wizard. I cant seem to get it going with command line, the pump command always fails for some reason. I want to be able to do it with the command line.