PDA

View Full Version : Trying to execute KeepassX, [plus other exe(s)?]

s331ng3y35
07-28-2009, 03:00 PM
Hi,

Currently have WinXP installed & booting KNOPPIX_V6.0.1 Live CD. Finding a password manager that works on both Windows & Knoppix (& other distros), so I downloaded KeepassX. In Knoppix clicking on the exe file just opens up an "open with" window, no applications to choose from, but got a command box to type in. Is there a command to execute the exe file, or do I have to find a different program (if so please suggest one)? Any help is very much appreciated.

s331ng3y35

ndb
07-29-2009, 11:03 AM
***.exe is a Windows executable. You can run a Windows executable, if you have wine. I don't know if 6.0 has wine or not. If not you can try

apt-get install wine

in a shell.

Harry Kuhman
07-29-2009, 01:34 PM
***.exe is a Windows executable. You can run a Windows executable, if you have wine.......
You might want to recheck yourself on that. Read this small article (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/KeePassX) for details: KeePassX is designed to be multi-platform and the same file should run under Windows or Linux.

s331ng3y35
07-29-2009, 02:54 PM
root@Microknoppix:/home/knoppix# apt-get install wine
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree
Reading state information... Done
E: Couldn't find package wine

Am I supposed to download the wine from somewhere first?

It was that article that got me downloading the program, yet it doesn't seem to work for me...

RoyalMail
07-30-2009, 07:51 PM
As far as keeypass is concerned there is a package keeypassx in stable/testing/unstable so should be easily installed. It works well, the only slight problem is synchronising changes between machines running the same passwords, I use Dropbox for that.