PDA

View Full Version : Knoppix STD

secsam
07-28-2009, 10:25 PM
Hi,

Noob here but I will try to be conscise and clear.

Can't seem to get Knoppix STD 1.0 to boot on any of my two laptops, or my desktop. I actually created two different disks of knoppix-STD from two different mirrors and verified the MD5 on both. I was able to get it to boot in Vmware6 from my desktop but my laptops don't support vmware and I really don't want to go that route anyway.

The error on all systems seems to be the same "Can't find KNOPPIX filesystem, sorry. Dropping you to a (very limited) shell.

I tried several different options such as
knoppix failsafe
knoppix boot=/dev/sr0 (I figured this out after creating a knoppix adriane disk and which does boot from laptop)
knoppix nodma

I was wondering if anyone has an idea on what else I might try to get disk to work?

What is the command used that will display the boot messages as Knoppix boots? It seems like a message fly's by before returning this error message.

What kernel the knoppix-STD use?

Thanks

Harry Kuhman
07-28-2009, 11:30 PM
Knoppix STD is not Knoppix, it is a different live CD that used a very old version of Knoppix as a base to build from. I don't think it's been updated in years. Sorry, I don't know the kernel version. What are you trying to do? Do you really want to catch the STD, or would real Knoppix or some other live CD work better for you? If you want a security tool, which STD was intended to be, I would suggest that you look at the current and well supported Backtrack serise of live Linux discs, or there are other forensic and security related live CDs that have not been abandoned like STD has.

The most common cause of "Can't find KNOPPIX filesystem, sorry. Dropping you to a (very limited) shell." is people believing that they can burn a quality disc at high speed (although it can be caused by other things, including marginal drives, marginal media, and trying to boot an old distro like STD that does not have SATA support on a newer style SATA optical drive). I suggest finding a different distro that you may be interested in and burning it at low speed and see if your results are not improved.

secsam
07-30-2009, 05:00 PM
Thanks for the reply Harry...

I was coming to many of the same conclusions about this STD version.

I will obtain the BackTrack version and suggest the instructor, who is insisting we be able to use STD on a laptop, consider requiring tool set that is more inline with the times.

Regards,
Sec