PDA

View Full Version : How to make my extra /home partition reiserfs

anibal
06-05-2003, 09:02 PM
Hi i made an extra partiton /home for my knoppix debian system, now i want this partition to be reiserfs as my / how can i do this if my system is already installed (the partition too) i just want this partiton to be formated as reisefs..is i do cfdisk i can't select reiserfs..

Stephen
06-05-2003, 10:56 PM
Backup all the files you want to keep from your /home to another directory say /backup. Then format the partition reiser with the command mkfs.reiserfs /dev/hd?? restore the files to the partition best done from a console login (select from menu on the graphic login screen) as root and using -Rp with the cp command eg. cp -Rp /home/* /backup/ reverse the process to restore and assuming that the /backup directory actually exists, replace ?? with dirve letter and partition number.

anibal
06-05-2003, 11:09 PM
ok i got it, but by accident i lost my swap :-( how can i get this back ?? i still have the partion but i can't mount this & is not mounting automatic

Stephen
06-05-2003, 11:19 PM
mkswap /dev/hd?? for the swap you overwrote. then swapon -a to turn it on.

anibal
06-06-2003, 05:17 PM
mkswap /dev/hd?? for the swap you overwrote. then swapon -a to turn it on.

ok i did mkswap /dev/hda7 + swapon -a but if i give mount i still can't see any swap mounted my /etc/fstab looks like this for swap:
/dev/hda7 swap swap sw 0 0

what is wrong ??

anibal
06-06-2003, 05:35 PM
Ok i just installed phpsysinfo & i can see my swap, but i still can see it when i give mount why is this