PDA

View Full Version : Language

ttsdinesh
08-06-2009, 05:43 PM
I am new to Knoppix. When i ran a live CD, the language was in german. how to change it to English? do i need to install to change it to english?

Harry Kuhman
08-06-2009, 05:56 PM
There are a couple of ways. You could type in a cheat code every time that you boot the disc. Follow the documention link near the top of this page and read the section of the wiki on cheat codes. One minor draw back about this, besides having to do it every time that you boot Knoppix, is that the = sign isn't when you expect it to be on the German keyboard, so it ill take you a little searching to find it.

The better way is to download the correct version of the Knoppix ISO, the one that defaults to English and not to German! Once again, follow the documentation link near the top of this page and read the downloading faq, it will tell you how to distinguish between the different ISO files available and give you several other important tips also.

ttsdinesh
08-07-2009, 01:01 AM
Thank you. But i have slow internet connection. Is there any other way to change language other dan these two? And i am not able to understand your 1st option. can u show me with a picture.

Harry Kuhman
08-07-2009, 01:23 AM
Those are the only two ways that I know of, although here is an idea that is just crazy enough that it might work:

Get the torrent for the English version of the exact same version of Knoppix as you already have the ISO for (and if you already deleted the ISO then this is not going to work). If you do not already have a BitTorrent client installed, install one, and properly configure your router for BitTorrent. (Although if you have a router then you connection isn't likely too slow for a good ISO download). Start the BitTorrent client and let it download the torrent for a few minutes (5-10). Then shut it down. Look in the folder where you told the client to download to. You should have an incomplete download of the English version ISO. Note the exact name of this file. Delete it. Move a copy of your current German ISO in and change the name to the English ISO name (which should involve changing a DE to an EN). Restart the BitTorrent client and resume the torrent download. The client should check the files to see how much of the ISO that you have, and it should find that it is almost complete, but one or two small blocks should need to be "repaired". The BitTorrent process will download just the different blocks and, when BitTorerent reports that it is done you will have a good English ISO file (don't stop it at 100%, let it finish completely.)

I have no pictures of someone reading the section of the wiki on cheat codes or of typing in the cheat code to avoid the disc starting in German. And as hard as this may be to believe, you're the first person that I've ever seen ask for one.

DO NOT INSTALL KNOPPIX, and if you do install it I will be unable to help you.

ttsdinesh
08-07-2009, 01:27 AM
Thank you. i will do it and will be back. it will be helpfull if u show me a bit torrent of English version.

Harry Kuhman
08-07-2009, 01:37 AM
Look at all of those links near the top of this page. Click on the Get Knoppix one. Click on the Knoppix BitTorrent Tracker link when the page loads. This will show you all of the official torrents currently available. Find the English version of the release that you currently have a German ISO file for, that is the torrent that you want (the Downloading FAQ explains how to tell the German and English versions apart).

Please report back if this technique is successful in converting your German ISO to an English one. It should work, but so far it is only theory.

ttsdinesh
08-07-2009, 01:38 AM
i found the torrent. Now downloading it. thank you.