PDA

View Full Version : iPcop and Knoppix recovery setup

node
08-15-2009, 03:47 PM
Hello all, just found the forum and hope I can get some help. I have an iPcop box, that is just not booting anymore. It has three Nic cards. Red, Blue and Green. I also have Knoppix 6.0, running on a USB stick. I have a folder setup on my Windows Xp machine for file sharing. The iPcop box Red Nic is connected directly to a D-Link router which is connected to a DSL modem.

I will like to know how to setup Knoppix, in order to make an image of the iPcop Hard Drive. Then be able to write the image to a larger or same size Hard Drive, saving me the trouble of doing the whole iPcop setup and configuration over.

I can also WinSCP or Putty into the iPcop box from the windows machine. Once the PC is connected to the D-Link router.

My Red nic is set as, 172.16..1.100, the Green to 172.16.7.1, the Blue to 172.16.8.1 and the D-Link router set to obtain an IP automatically.

I am a Newbie when it come's to detail Networking, and I am very new to Knoppix.

Thanks

chip.ling
08-17-2009, 08:06 AM
Hello all, just found the forum and hope I can get some help. I have an iPcop box, that is just not booting anymore. It has three Nic cards. Red, Blue and Green. I also have Knoppix 6.0, running on a USB stick. I have a folder setup on my Windows Xp machine for file sharing. The iPcop box Red Nic is connected directly to a D-Link router which is connected to a DSL modem.

I will like to know how to setup Knoppix, in order to make an image of the iPcop Hard Drive. Then be able to write the image to a larger or same size Hard Drive, saving me the trouble of doing the whole iPcop setup and configuration over.

I can also WinSCP or Putty into the iPcop box from the windows machine. Once the PC is connected to the D-Link router.

My Red nic is set as, 172.16..1.100, the Green to 172.16.7.1, the Blue to 172.16.8.1 and the D-Link router set to obtain an IP automatically.

I am a Newbie when it come's to detail Networking, and I am very new to Knoppix.

Thanks

First of all, you need to have your iPcop box re-install and make it works.

Then you can clone your harddisk.

To clone your harddisk, you need
1. boot from knoppix (in your case, from your usb stick)
2. your local hard drive you want to clone (in your ipcop machine)
3. another hard drive to keep the clone image.

To make thing simple at the first place, I assume you have a USB hard drive that can be used for this purpose.

To create the backup copy of your harddisk

1. boot the machine with knoppix
2. mount the local hard drive as read-only and identify it's device name (i.e. assume it is /media/hda1)
3. mount the USB hard drive as read-write and identify it's device name (i.e. assume it is /media/sda1)
4. use the dd command to clone the hard drive

$ dd if=/media/hda1 of=/media/sda1/clone.img

Once it is succesfully done, you will have a clone image file called clone.img on /media/sda1.

To restore the clone image back to the hard drive later on

1. boot the machine with knoppix
2. mount the local hard drive as read-write (i.e. it is /media/hda1)
3. mount the USB hard drive as read-only (i.e. it is /media/sda1)
4. use the dd command to restore the cloned image

$ dd if=/media/sda1/clone.img of=/media/hda1

Rgds,
Chip