PDA

View Full Version : Copying live knobbix usb stick

bootabedriver
08-20-2009, 03:27 PM
I have an altered version of knoppix that runs live off a USB stick.

I want to make a copy of this usb disk. I have tried copying the files over and booting up from it and it doesn't work.

How can I do this successfully?

Thank you

Capricorny
08-26-2009, 09:22 PM
Copying files isn't enough, you must make the new stick bootable. If you aren't too interested in the details of this, (I would have been had GRUB been the bootloader in use, but it isn't), you can just use the "Install KNOPPIX to flash disk" option under system tools. Put the new stick in alongside with the one you are running from. You will then get a copy of your currently running system.

bootabedriver
08-26-2009, 09:43 PM
Copying files isn't enough, you must make the new stick bootable. If you aren't too interested in the details of this, (I would have been had GRUB been the bootloader in use, but it isn't), you can just use the "Install KNOPPIX to flash disk" option under system tools. Put the new stick in alongside with the one you are running from. You will then get a copy of your currently running system.

I am interested in learning how to make it bootable, do you have any more info?

Clinton
08-27-2009, 11:54 AM
Does this page (http://www.knoppix.net/wiki/USB_Based_FAQ) help? You could also use the site search feature in the navigation bar at the top of this page.

Capricorny
09-03-2009, 06:17 PM
The page linked to definitely helps if you have a system with GRUB installed ;)
But my default Knoppix does not seem to have GRUB.

With 6.0.1, the easiest way I know about to make a stick bootable, is to format it with FAT32 (if it isn't already) and use the "Install Knoppix to flash disk" option on the system menu. Using GRUB as detailed in the FAQ is a much more involved, but also more versatile, and in my view "better", way.