PDA

View Full Version : DVD not loading?

btiend
08-22-2009, 05:13 AM
When I boot the live DVD, it all works and lists a bunch of text, but eventually it goes to a screen which shows the background and my mouse looks like a cross. Then it stays there. What should I do?

Harry Kuhman
08-22-2009, 05:29 AM
I would suggest starting by following the Documentation link near the top of this page and reading the Downloading FAQ portion of the wiki. We really don't have enough information to tell you exactly what is wrong. If I had to make a guess I would try that perhaps your system needs one or more "cheat codes" to help it boot, and I would further guess that you might benefit from xmodule=vesa or one of the other xmodule codes, but that is only a guess since we don't have enough to go on. We are not even sure if you checked the md5 checksum before burning the disc, burnt it at low speed, and otherwise made it correctly, or even of which Knoppix version you are using and what hardware you are running on.

So start by reviewing the downloadng FAQ, it should cover all of the steps for making and booting a Knoppix disc. There is also a wiki section explaining cheat codes, although if you downloaded by the torrent then you already have a good cheat code document.

btiend
08-22-2009, 05:35 AM
I would suggest starting by following the Documentation link near the top of this page and reading the Downloading FAQ portion of the wiki. We really don't have enough information to tell you exactly what is wrong. If I had to make a guess I would try that perhaps your system needs one or more "cheat codes" to help it boot, and I would further guess that you might benefit from xmodule=vesa or one of the other xmodule codes, but that is only a guess since we don't have enough to go on. We are not even sure if you checked the md5 checksum before burning the disc, burnt it at low speed, and otherwise made it correctly, or even of which Knoppix version you are using and what hardware you are running on.

So start by reviewing the downloadng FAQ, it should cover all of the steps for making and booting a Knoppix disc. There is also a wiki section explaining cheat codes, although if you downloaded by the torrent then you already have a good cheat code document.
I am using the latest Knoppix DVD, I checked the md5, burned it at the lowest spead possible, (4x), and am running it on Dell Vostro 1500.
The CD works fine, (except I can't connect to internet), but the DVD load up with the text, but then goes to a screen with the background and the mouse (which looks like a cross) and stays like that.

Harry Kuhman
08-22-2009, 05:53 AM
I am using the latest Knoppix DVD, I checked the md5, burned it at the lowest spead possible, (4x), and am running it on Dell Vostro 1500.
The CD works fine, (except I can't connect to internet), but the DVD load up with the text, but then goes to a screen with the background and the mouse (which looks like a cross) and stays like that.
Well, the latest DVD version is 5.3.1, not sure why you didn't just say that. There is no 5.3.1 CD though, so you must be using some other version of the CD. Not sure if it is 5.1.1 or one of the disappointing 6.x versions or some other CD version. Using different versions of the CD and DVD might explain why the CD boots but not the DVD, but I would really be surprised if the 5.1.1 CD worked without a cheat code and the 5.3.1 DVD needed one on the same hardware. Still, I have nothing more to offer than suggesting that you experiment with the cheat codes. Unless, of course, some of that text that scrolled by contains error messages that might provide insight.

I'm curious as to why with the CD you can't connect to the Internet, but again nothing to go on and that would be better dealt with in a separate thread in the Networking forum.

Capricorny
09-09-2009, 10:50 PM
Correct ISO and good burning does not help if the media is not good. First thing to try when you encounter such problems, is always to check the media with another PC to see if it works there: If it does, it may still be a hardware problem,with some kind of incompatibility between your drive and the DVD. You might try it with another sample, preferably DVD/RW. I really doubt there is a problem with Knoppix and the Vostro 1500, but of course it may be.