PDA

View Full Version : Newbie can't boot to anything but LXDE, wants Gnome

unckybob
09-01-2009, 07:55 AM
Downloaded:

v6.0.1 CD 2009-02-08.

I've been playing with knoppix for a while. I'm anxious to try out this new CD, but I can't get it to boot to Gnome. I'm kind of disapointed with the LXDE desktop. It doesn't have as many programs as the old CDs. I'm using the same old cheatcodes:

knoppix lang=us desktop=gnome.

I can't figure out what I'm doing wrong. I have the problem no matter what computer I use.

Please help.

Capricorny
09-03-2009, 06:24 PM
Gnome won't help you with programs lacking on the CD! If your concern is about the programs, you must create a persistent image and use (e.g) Synaptic to install whatever you want. For me, that has been a fairly easy thing to do, even though I haven't used Debian before, except for through Knoppix. Lots of "standard" programs had top be left out from the CD, but it's very easy to intall them to a persistent image.

My best advice is that you try to modify LXDE to tailor it to your needs as best you can first, then install the programs you want, and only afterwards try to change to standard Gnome.

RoyalMail
11-18-2009, 07:15 PM
Installing gnome-core and trying to install gdm, lxde keeps getting in the way. What packages should I purge to get it out of the way? gdm should really set itself up as greeter when installed, it just doesn't seem to be happening.