PDA

View Full Version : Can not transfer files to good HDD from unbootable computer

pbaatrsl
09-11-2009, 05:51 AM
I am having the exact same problem as Erica below..... I can not drag my folders over to the good hard drive. I read about the write permission and that is not the problem.. Am I trying to move too large of a folder? There are 100's of pics in a folder. Do I need to open it and drag each folder inside??? I am so excited to see my stuff still there but can not get it to move for nothing...
I have tried usb thumbdrive and I attached a HDD to a USB cord and both are recognized.
Please help..
Thanks,
Paul

Harry Kuhman
09-11-2009, 06:04 AM
I don't have enough information to know just what your problem is, but I'll mention two things. The drive has to be mounted read/write, by default versions of Knoppix up to 5.x all defaulted to read only (I'm not sure about 6.x versions). You seem to already know about this from what you wrote, but I'm not completely sure that you mounted read/write so I'm mentioning it. Second, I very strongly suggest that the drive be partitioned FAT32 and not NTFS. Some people say that they can write to NTFS, but in the middle of a disaster recovery is not the time to experience another disaster.