PDA

View Full Version : how to connect to internet using Knoppix V.5.1.1

asdvj
09-11-2009, 02:54 PM
i am sure you have had this question asked multiple times and i am sorry for asking it again.

hi am a complete linux newb (i didn't even know it existed about a month ago) and i need some help.

i want to connect to my BT Home Hub (wireless, broadband) but since i am not used to linux off any sort i have no idea how to actually connect to the internet so if someone could tell me where i can find the option to connect to the internet i would be very thankful

few notes:

i believe that the knoppix CD i have is V5.1.1 but i am not to sure because it is not my disc and actually a friends

if this is in the wrong place then i am sorry and please move it to where it should be.

please try to explain it as simple as possible because i am very new to linux and knoppix and am a little dumb

if you need any more information i will try my best to get it.

be kind.

Harry Kuhman
09-11-2009, 03:06 PM
You don't say what your wifi card is (or chip set if using an internal wifi in a notebook) so people are not going to be able to give you a definitive answer.

My best advice is to connect your computer to the router with a cat-5 network cable, I have extremely high confidence that will work.

Knoppix support for wifi hardware is very spotty. I have several computers and many wifi adapters, but I have only found one card that will work with Knoppix, even though other CD distros recognize several of the other cards. Other people do report better luck with different hardware.

I've also had bad luck getting any version of 5.x to work, even with the one card that did work fine in 4.02. Again,some others report success, but I'm very discouraged by the state of wifi in Knoppix.

Yes, you are absolutely correct, this has been asked many many times before, and if you take the time to read through old posts you will learn much.

Clinton
09-11-2009, 07:24 PM
As Harry says, the first step is to connect via a cable. That then allows you to eliminate drivers, faulty network card, router problems etc., as the cause of your non-connectivity.

If you use the "Search" link at the top of this page and type connect to internet, you should see previous threads where this was discussed.

asdvj
09-11-2009, 07:54 PM
thanks for the help.

unfortunately it looks like i can't connect to the internet :(

does anyone know of a Live CD that can go on the internet easily and is good at doing work?

cowboytech
11-23-2009, 12:23 AM
This may not seem kosher, but I understand your problem as a newbee to Linux, so I'm going to be honest in an explanatory way.

1. Knoppix is a good Linux system when used within the boundaries for which it was designed, and I suggest you keep working with it and following the updates and improvements.
2. For having a reliable Linux system that is easy to connect to the Internet and which can be more useful in the ways you seem to desire, I'd try another Debian based system called Ubuntu 9.10.
I use Ubuntu for my desktop, but use Knoppix for working with customers' computers when I need to get into the system to rework some issues, so I keep up with what it offers. However, I don't believe it is practical for what you need as it is not as reliable for connecting to the internet, seeing and connecting to other computers and for looking at PC based drives.

My main computer dual boots Windows 7 and Ubuntu, and my alternate computer quad boots Windows 7 - Mac OS X Snow Leopard, Ubuntu and Windows XP-Pro - for technical reasons to help my customers who use a variety of OS's.

I've found Knoppix to be a valuable tool, and a good system in it's own right, but you seem to want to learn Linux and use it as a every-day system on a computer. For that reason, I recommend you obtain a copy of Ubuntu 9.10 and buy a book on that system.

Good luck.