PDA

View Full Version : Basic Questions From A Linux NewBee...

gradofan
09-28-2009, 08:37 PM
Hi... I'm a Linux Newbee... and not a "techy."

I have some pretty basic questions - which may bore most of you.

I've been able to get the Live CD to boot and allow me to navigate and use Linux, and the browser. I can see my HD volumes, and open them and access the files and open some of them and alter them on my HP Paviilion Notebook with Vista Home Premium.

I've also downloaded and used Firefox, and set up the tabs and saved some Bookmarks - but, can't figure out how to save the configuration when I shut it down and re-open it (Firefox). Similarly, I've not been able to figure out how to save my tabs and Bookmarks in Linux (Knoppix Live CD v 6.0). I now realize IceWeasel is a form of FireFox - thought they seemed similar. But... I'm still wondering how to get IceWeasel / FireFox to preserve my settings, bookmarks, tabs, etc. between sessions. I'm getting tired of re-set-up every time I reboot Knoppix.

I'm also unable to open some MS Office, or MS Works files with the OpenOffice apps - I don't know how to find the application to associate with these files to open them in OpenOffice.

I'm a "GUI Gui" not a "code guy" and would like to just "point and click" for all of this stuff.

I guess I'm looking for some comprehensive documentation (users manual) for the Live CD, which I haven't found yet. Does anything like this exist? If so, can you direct me to it? Or, to a forum, thread, which contains most of this stuff?

I'd also like to configure my system to avoid the frequent reads of the CD/DVD drive - speed it up. I'd like to install it to my HD, or to a USB stick, but I've read that its pretty difficult for a "GUI Guy" to do that, and that my HP Pavilion DV6000 Notebook, may not allow boots from a USB stick, anyway. Can anyone direct me to a forum, or thread, which might show a "GUI Guy" how to do any of this with success, without having to right "code" (commands)???

Anyway... any help... any of you more "patient soles" might offer would be appreciated.

Thanks,
GF

OErjan
09-29-2009, 10:01 AM
sorry to say that Knoppix is meant to be run from a DVD/CD not to be installed, it is mostly just a demo/porta linux, true I have used it as rescue more times than I dare think but that is just a bonus.

Knoppix is meant to be portable, this makes it less than ideal for some things. in your place I would install Debian and when that is done install KDE and use that for default environment.

how that is done is well documented on the Debian site.
http://www.debian.org/

ndb
09-29-2009, 11:35 AM
First thing is you should not try to write to your hard drive, as Knoppix does not have a safe means of writing to an NTFS (Windows 2000 and up) partition.

Also, I have not found a means of saving your settings with Knoppix 6; try Knoppix 5.3.1. You can create a persistent disk image with that, to a USB key. There will be plenty of posts and the faqs here with instructions.

When you start Knoppix, you enter cheat codes at a boot prompt. Put the USB key you have saved your settings to in a port, and boot Knoppix. When you see the boot prompt, which I think is

boot:

enter knoppix home=scan

Also, if you have a lot of RAM, like a gig or two, then you can save the iso image on your hard drive, and use this cheat:

bootfrom=/dev/hda1/linux/knoppix.iso

It could be sda1 instead of hda1, also this assumes that the directory you have is linux, and that the iso name is knoppix.iso.

This should be a good start.

gradofan
09-29-2009, 01:33 PM
First thing is you should not try to write to your hard drive, as Knoppix does not have a safe means of writing to an NTFS (Windows 2000 and up) partition.

Also, I have not found a means of saving your settings with Knoppix 6; try Knoppix 5.3.1. You can create a persistent disk image with that, to a USB key. There will be plenty of posts and the faqs here with instructions.

When you start Knoppix, you enter cheat codes at a boot prompt. Put the USB key you have saved your settings to in a port, and boot Knoppix. When you see the boot prompt, which I think is

boot:

enter knoppix home=scan

Also, if you have a lot of RAM, like a gig or two, then you can save the iso image on your hard drive, and use this cheat:

bootfrom=/dev/hda1/linux/knoppix.iso

It could be sda1 instead of hda1, also this assumes that the directory you have is linux, and that the iso name is knoppix.iso.

This should be a good start.

Thanks for your help...

Just a bit of confirmation... for a "GUI Guy."

I understand you to mean:

1. At the black screen when knoppix starts I enter at the boot prompt (boot: or similar): knoppix home=scan Right?

As an alternative, if I have 1-2 GB of RAM (I do)...

2. At the black screen when knoppix starts, instead of the above, I enter at the boot prompt: bootfrom=/dev/hda1/linux/knoppix.iso Right?

The drive reference is either hda1, or sda1. I don't understand the difference, except these reference the location of the drive.

How do I confirm the directory is linux, and the ISO (whatever that is) is knoppix.iso. I assume these are automatically set up, or assigned, when I boot knoppix 6.0, or 5.3. Or, do I have to set-up, or assign, these? If so, where do I find the directions - in the threads for creating a USB key?

I assume a 4 gig USB flash mem stick is sufficient to use to support a USB key? What's the minimum space required? Or, perhaps this is in the threads on set-up of the USB key.

Also - I've seen comments elsewhere that my notebook (HP Pavilion dv6000/6426) does not support booting from a USB flash mem stick. I assume that set-up of a USB key does not require booting from a USB flash mem stick.

Oh yes... don't I need an anti-virus app and firewall app? I've found some, but can't figure out how to install them (back to "techy" commands, which I "have no clue" how to work with - I've tried to enter them in the command window, but nothing seems to happen). What is a good firewall app for a "GUI Guy?"

And... finally... is there any version of linux that has all this automated with a GUI interface like Windows (e.g. Red Hat, Debian, Mandriva, Ubuntu, etc.)??? Hopefully...

knoppix seems fine... but... I would rather not have to become a "techy" to use it. And... I really would prefer to boot and run from my hard drive, rather than a CD. By this time... there must surely be a more "Mac-like / Windows-like" version available for "GUI Guys."

Thanks again,
GF

ndb
09-30-2009, 11:05 AM
You can combine several boot cheats. You type:

knoppix home=scan bootfrom=... etc.

The directory linux is one that you create in Windows; I chose that for storing several .iso's in. I renamed my knoppix to knoppix.iso, because I'm too lazy to type out the whole name; plus there's less chance of error if I keep the name simple.

I didn't mention it before (my bad!), but the bootfrom option runs Knoppix from the .iso image on your hard drive, instead of the CD. After Knoppix finishes starting, you should be able to eject the CD.

Both Debian and Ubuntu allow updating and installing software from the desktop. You don't need to go to the command line for that. Those are for installing to your hard drive however. I've got two partitions on my machine, Windows 2000 and Linux. You've got to know what you're doing - I don't recommend it for a newbie. I'm not sure whether Knoppix has something. Your Windows PC is safe from viruses if you leave the hard drive READ only.

Hope this helps.

gradofan
09-30-2009, 02:57 PM
You can combine several boot cheats. You type:

knoppix home=scan bootfrom=... etc.

The directory linux is one that you create in Windows; I chose that for storing several .iso's in. I renamed my knoppix to knoppix.iso, because I'm too lazy to type out the whole name; plus there's less chance of error if I keep the name simple.

I didn't mention it before (my bad!), but the bootfrom option runs Knoppix from the .iso image on your hard drive, instead of the CD. After Knoppix finishes starting, you should be able to eject the CD.

Both Debian and Ubuntu allow updating and installing software from the desktop. You don't need to go to the command line for that. Those are for installing to your hard drive however. I've got two partitions on my machine, Windows 2000 and Linux. You've got to know what you're doing - I don't recommend it for a newbie. I'm not sure whether Knoppix has something. Your Windows PC is safe from viruses if you leave the hard drive READ only.

Hope this helps.

Thanks...

I did find Ubuntu... installed it successfully as a dual boot system with both Vista and Ubuntu. Seemed to meet all my needs.

What do you mean "leave the hard drive read only?" I assume you mean, I should not write to files, from one system, or the other - but, which?

Thanks....

ndb
09-30-2009, 04:23 PM
Sorry, I mean that a Windows hard drive should be read-only by Knoppix (this is the default). Knoppix can't write anything on a Windows partition safely. Some people have reported corrupt files and filesystem after a while. Also, Knoppix is best used as a live-CD/DVD only. Apparently there are problems with installed Knoppix and updating afterwards.

Windows of course recognizes Windows partitions safely, but doesn't recognize Linux partitions at all.