PDA

View Full Version : searching '386 or 32 bit ISO image

77yrold
09-30-2009, 10:07 PM
I am attempting to create a live CD, but at the mirrors I am bot seeing 32 bit or '386 on identification line.
I do not want to go through the process to learn I have a 64 bit which is useless to me.
Thanking you in advanve

Harry Kuhman
09-30-2009, 10:21 PM
If you are talking about Knoppix, it is a Live CD that is only released in a 32 bit version, not a 64 bit version (it will, of course, run on either a 32 bit or a 64 bit platform).

There are, of course, Debian and other distros available in 64 bit versions as well as 32 bit versions, and also non-Intel versions. But Knoppix only comes in Intel 32 bit flavor.

You mentioned the mirrors. I very much suggest that you consider downloading the Knoppix ISO package of your choice with a BitTorrent client. As long as you properly configure your router for BitTorrent it will very likely be much faster. And, as BitTorrent does its own error checking and also avoids a translation bug we often see with the Knoppix mirrors, it will be much more likely to give you a good download. I had about 50% corrupt downloads when using the mirrors, have never had a bad Knoppix download since the torrents became available. If you ignore this advice and insist on using the mirrors, be sure to check the md5 sum of the ISO before burning it to disk. Follow the Documentation link near the tiop of this page and read the Downloading FAQ for more details.

77yrold
09-30-2009, 10:38 PM
Now I understand why I did not see any 32 bit identification. They are all 32 bit, makes sense. Will use Torrent and thanks for setting me straight

Harry Kuhman
09-30-2009, 10:49 PM
Actually I should have said that the official versions are all 32 bit. Someone did do a remaster of one version in a 64 bit format, I think it was a 5.x version but it might have even been 4,02. But that one was clearly remarked as a 64 bit remaster. If you get an official version from any of the links found through the Get Knoppix link near the top of the page, it will be a 32 bit version. Welcome and good luck.