PDA

View Full Version : Kernel Development, Rtlinux- W/ Knoppix /W a side of Ubuntu~

jasonsmr
10-05-2009, 02:42 PM
Hi, I have been working off base here with another distro 5.1 math , knoppix for the sake of a lab, and gaming programmer.

While I was on knoppix this summer I came across this post, and have put this off until now, but the thing is I have also been working closely with the same kernel as luis, the 2.6.29.6-rt23 rt-kernel freely available online.

I have been attempting to boot knoppix with this kernel using the kernel changing tutorials found on the wiki, however you know how those wiki's are sometimes they leave out idle info's like in my case how the patches are required and how the ini and the initrd should be compiled with out the use of functional modules?

any one want to do a walk through on this or a blogg separate to this?
and one for /Ubuntu is fine I’m sure the minirt.gz in knoppix is similarity helpful in the modules for knoppix. as passing the knoppix operating parameters on to the kernel built modules via the initrd=/boot/minitr.gz option

The boiled down question is relative to Knoppix and to Ubuntu is how would I create a dual boot system with both the Knoppix gaming lab (compiler+forensic set) and the testing distro Ubuntu prototyping set??

My layout as stated is:

KNOPPIX Ubuntu Windows

RTKERN

Grub

Coreboot

|OpenBios____________________

|F-code 4th Language JAVASCRIPTING

|Bitecode_____|

I could really use some help on this. I’m planing on using grub2, however I currently have only grub-legacy on the MRB. I would like to upgrade for chainloading and pxe boot as compiled options
to become available. Itl a big puzzle for me at this point I would be most appreciative for support or any help/advice on the rtlinux--to--Knoppix crossover for kernel replacments. Ive read the Wiki on it and its just not making since to me. I see the wiki as stating that I need to patch the kernel with a knoppix patch , the rtkernel I downloaded is a prepatcher rt version so Its hot out of the box.

I have attempted to boot it with a dummy initrd from busy box that gives me a busybox shell with no keyboard!! I have also attempted to boot with the generic minirt.gz thats on the default 2.6.19
kern. That also gives a shell . at nomac 2 with no keyboard functionality! :(

The assumption im going to make is that all the module fun I did with the compiling of the kern was not loaded with the inirtd of course because I didnt create the initrd for this kernel yet!.

Alternatively however, without the dummy initrd the system hangs anyways at boot waiting to find the ini file where as I have no ini file for the kernel ether and It simply stalls looking for that and around the firewire boot also mentioned in the forum.

currently available is my knoppix disrto as a compiler distro it uses the 2.6.19 kernel with the usual patches (knoppix setup.c patch) and a slab.c patch along with a ksize, lhash, and fuse patches.

I would also like to upgrade all compiler tools on this disrto for newer 4.3+ compiler toolset under the usual /usr/src/toolset. however in knoppix it seems all compiler tools are preinstalled in the /usr/src and there darn difficult to update to the newer sets (so far).

:P

So.. any one want to join me in this for a joint adventure?

jason