PDA

View Full Version : To HDD install or Not

borgward
10-19-2009, 06:34 AM
A few observations about Knoppix HDD install VS Debian install as advised by this forum.

I ran Knoppix 5.1.1 HDD install on Dell latitude CPi 400MHx PII 256MB RAM. It ran better that anything else, Puppy, Feather, Ubuntu, Xubuntu, DSL, to name a few. Way better. It did just about everything extremely well, except play CD's a function really needed for a musician.

I got a set of Debian lenny DVD's to install with. I now have music. I must say that installing Debian opened up a whole new can of worms that had to be iorned out. Knoppix 5.1.1 would install on my 4.6GB HDD, but Debian Lenny did not like it. Luckily I found a 20GB HDD

I tried running Knoppix live 6.0.1 on the laptop, and it would not work at all. Runs poorly on my ASUS A7N8X-X W/ AMD Athlon 1.8 Gig CPU machine. Can't imagine anyone installing it on old equipment. A friend said that he could not get it to run on any of his Dell P4 computers.

I would not suggest asking the Debian Forums about Knoppix HDD install, as most of the people will not want to help you and refer you back to Knoppix forums who will refer you to Debian forums who will .........

It is too bad that Knoppix does not truly support HDD install. I can see that there are over 180 pages of questions about HDD install. That is a lot of Demand for something that almost works.