PDA

View Full Version : trying to recover my files using knoppix ....

fogsy
10-22-2009, 08:22 PM
I have windows XP
it crashed after I uninstalled norton
I have 40gb of files that I need to recover
Im using the knoppix cd,I can access the files, but when I copy them to a USB drive then plug it to another laptop(has windows vista) I cannot see the files, sometimes I do see them but I cannot open them, they are altered in a way
for example an mp3 will play 5seconds but not the whole 3minutes
a textfile will be empty or only show the first line
etc...
its really frustrating
I think Im doing something wrong,
please let me know
p.s: I bought a new usb key because at some point i thought the other one wasnt working, but Im still having the same trouble

Harry Kuhman
10-22-2009, 08:38 PM
If your USB drive is formatted with NTFS, them you have likely corrupted the NTFS partition. Knoppix can not safely write to NTFS (There are those who believe otherwise, but I've seen too many posts of problem to convert to their beliefs). I would not ever use a NTFS drive that Knoppix has written to until I completely reformat it.

If it is a FAT partitioned drive then were you careful to unmount the drive before moving it to the other system? You must unmount a Linux drive before disconnecting it. (You would have to do this with a NTFS drive too, but that hardly matters since the drive will be corrupt before you can unmount it).

Personally, I recover files with Knoppix by installing a FTP server on a Windows box, and use Konquror under Knoppix as an FTP client on the recovery machine, transferring the files across a network. There are many free FTP servers for Windows that can be used for this. There are many other ways to recover files also, no one solution is right for everyone.

Clinton
10-22-2009, 09:14 PM
Have you tried the free data recovery tools (http://www.bestpricecomputers.co.uk/glossary/data-recovery.htm#FreeDownloads) out there?

fogsy
10-22-2009, 09:24 PM
Thank you guys for the prompt reply.
I tried the ftp thingy before, it says connection stalled
it creates the folders and then it copies like 5mb and stops
I turned off the firewall

when I try to unmount the usb it gives me an error msg

and for the recovery, I dont wanna take the risk