PDA

View Full Version : Safe Mode reboot loop nightmare - Using Knoppix - Pls help!

Niramaya
10-25-2009, 09:36 PM
I am currently caught in a Safe Mode reboot loop. This happened after I opted to enter Safe Mode via MSconfig (checked /Safeboot box in BOOT.INI tab) which failed just as the F8 method did. I am now unable to boot through any mode, safe, normal, command, etc.

I do have Recovery Console installed already but I attempt to use it, I get the "UNMPOUNTABLE_BOOT_VOLUME" error on blue screen.

Last night I successfully booted with Knoppix (KNOPPIX_V6.0.1CD-2009-02-08-EN) but cannot access the Boot.ini or any other file. I believe this is due to the encryption software (Encryption Plus Hard Disk by GuardianEdge) that came with the laptop. Before this happened, during the boot process I would get the Encryption login screen before Windows XP starts. Without that step, I cannot access any files.

My question is this: Is there any way to reach encryption login while booted via Knoppix?

I am completely locked out of my laptop. I appreciate any help you can offer.

Thanks,
N

ckamin
10-29-2009, 08:31 AM
I would strongly suggest that you contact GuardianEdge or the laptop manufacturer and see what they can do for you. Encryption can be a good thing, or very bad, depending on what kind of problem you encounter.

If you decide to write to the drive using any Linux version, you may take the risk of further corrupting your data. It is usually OK to read from an NTFS partition with Linux, but writing to it remains risky, since the drivers used are not genuine Micro$oft. Even the M$ drivers can corrupt the drive.

I would suggest a Windows PE disk or BartPE. They run the native Micro$soft drivers. How to get around the encryption is another issue best left to those that designed it.