PDA

View Full Version : Knoppix 6.0.1 on a Toshiba Satellite

vegasfan32
10-26-2009, 02:18 AM
I have a 3 year old Toshiba Satellite laptop with a Celeron processor. I bought a Knoppix Live cd from OSdisc.com. It will boot to the startup screen but then the screen freezes and the cd drive stops and the disc is ejected. It will not fully boot. By the way, the cd drive sounds like it's going extremely fast.
I have read some of the forum posts concerning problems with booting to Toshiba laptops but didn't find any answers that fit my situation. I bought 2 discs, and my desktop (Compaq) boots just fine. The problem is, I need it to work on my laptop so I can use it when I travel for work.
Thanks,
Clyde

mejohnsn
10-30-2009, 05:21 AM
I have a 3 year old Toshiba Satellite laptop with a Celeron processor. I bought a Knoppix Live cd from OSdisc.com. It will boot to the startup screen but then the screen freezes and the cd drive stops and the disc is ejected.

Please be a little more specific about which "Toshiba Satellite" you are booting. They usually have a long model number such as M105-S3064, which is also at least 3 years old.

Also what "start up screen" are you referring to? Did you get to "init level 5" (Xwindows graphics)? Or do you get this same problem even when booting to single user w/o graphics?

If you can get to single user w/o graphics, then you can at least execute "lspci" to see what pci hardware Knoppix has recognized. The output of 'dmesg' would also be helpful, since it lists the "kernel ring buffer", status/error messages the kernel writes while booting.

mejohnsn
10-30-2009, 07:27 AM
I have a 3 year old Toshiba Satellite laptop with a Celeron processor. I bought a Knoppix Live cd from OSdisc.com. It will boot to the startup screen but then the screen freezes and the cd drive stops and the disc is ejected.

Please be a little more specific about which "Toshiba Satellite" you are booting. They usually have a long model number such as M105-S3064, which is also at least 3 years old.

Also what "start up screen" are you referring to? Did you get to "init level 5" (Xwindows graphics)? Or do you get this same problem even when booting to single user w/o graphics?

If you can get to single user w/o graphics, then you can at least execute "lspci" to see what pci hardware Knoppix has recognized. The output of 'dmesg' would also be helpful, since it lists the "kernel ring buffer", status/error messages the kernel writes while booting.

In fact, I finally got around to trying booting the 6.01 Knoppix LiveCD on my M105-S3064, and it works fine: I had a little trouble getting the NetworkManager to recognize my access point, but recognize it did. I am now connecting to the net running the LiveCD.

That "little trouble" was: at first, NetworkManager Applet reported no access points, but after I executed "sudo iwconfig wlan0 essid <name of ap here>", it worked.

BW: I didn't buy the LiveCD from anyone: I downloaded the torrent, ran a P2P client to save the ISO image, and used unetbootin to make the LiveCD on a USB stick.