PDA

View Full Version : Boot into Compiz DE

bioximan
10-30-2009, 02:05 PM
I have installed knoppix 6.1 to a USB stick with persistent image with no problems. I have also manually installed the nvidia proprietary driver and this works, no issues here. However, I would like knoppix to boot directly to the Compiz desktop. The only way I can invoke Compiz at the moment is by dropping to init 3 executing nvidia-xconfig and then returning to the desktop via init 5 even though "Device" is set to nvidia as opposed to nv in the xorg.conf file and everything appears to be in order regarding composite settings. As I said Compiz works, I'd just like to be able to boot directly into Compiz. Please advise. TIA.

Edit: Actually the problem seems to be that knoppix overites the xorg.conf file on each start. I can edit the file and and restart the xserver with compiz during a session but when I boot up the file is over written again. Ideas?

Edit: Edit: The problem appears to be that xorg.conf is regenerated on every boot. How do I stop this behaviour.

Edit:Edit:Edit: Fixed up! I just need to pass a number of boot options at start up to resolve the problem.