PDA

View Full Version : Internet connection problem

cretin
11-10-2009, 01:03 AM
I can't get on to the internet with Knoppix. I guess it doesn't do it automatically like Mint. I've tried to work it myself but I'm really groping around in the dark. I have a dsl connection and I believe that I have the 5.3.1 version.
Can someone help?
Thanks

Harry Kuhman
11-10-2009, 01:12 AM
It does it automagically for me. Do you have a router? (If not, why not? Get one! There might be one already in your DSL modem, be sure it is enabled.) What is your hardware, particulary but not limited to the NIC? You are talking about a wired connection, are you not ('cause your chances of getting a wireless connection working with Knoppix are rather low)?
What is the output of the command ifconfig ? Although you shouldn't need it, try running netcardconfig and see what happens.

cretin
11-11-2009, 01:56 AM
I tried running ifconfig and I got several lines of code (or whatever). I'm not transferring it manually. I also ran netcardconfig. It asked me if I wanted to obtain an address automatically (DHCP), I said yes. It searches and then says that there is no answer from DHCP server.
There is also a "two computer icon"in the taskbar tray with a red x through it.. I click on it and an option is to enable networking. I click on that and it says that "the network connection has been disconnected."
I would have cut and pasted the ouput of the ifconfig command but I can't figure out how to save the file to a floppy. Also, I can't see how to set up a printer.
I am a novice when it comes to linux and computers overall but I have downloaded Ubuntu, Fedora, Mint, DSL and Puppy and I had no trouble getting online or configuring a printer with any of those distros.
My hardware is straightforward - an older Dell pentium 4, with 1 gig of ram.
What am I missing here?
P.S. I sent this message from Puppy.

Harry Kuhman
11-11-2009, 05:28 AM
...What am I missing here?...
The answer to the most important question of all, the router. And Knowing what you have as a dsl modem. And if you are not willing to type in the ifconfig info it makes it hard for others to help you. Also, the ifconfig info from a system that does work such as Puppy Linux would give us a lot of insight on how you network is built.