PDA

View Full Version : i want to create a nero 6 express bootable cd.

wp51dos
11-12-2009, 05:40 PM
i want to create a nero 6 express bootable cd.

i want to put ghost32.exe on it, and boot from the cd ( on an otherwise unbootable xp sp2 computer ) and run ghost32.exe.

suggestions ?

Harry Kuhman
11-12-2009, 08:55 PM
I've split out your post into its own thread, it seemed a better choice than leaving it in the old thread. It's not really about Knoppix, but were are rather tolerant of that around here.

So what is the problem? Seems like a pretty straight forward task to me. I know that there are lots of different versions of ghost, but if that version runs under DOS then the simplest way would be to make a bootable DOS floppy with ghost on it and use Nero to make a bootable CD, when it asks for the floppy to use as the boot image, give it the floppy that you made.

If you don't have a floppy drive any longer, there are still plenty of tools that will let you manipulate floppy images (Google is your friend). One approach that you might try is to use VMware, make a DOS VMware virtual machine (or download a ready made appliance) and use that to write out a virtual floppy, which you should then be able to manipulate into an IMG file that you could pass to Nero instead of a physical floppy when it asks for the floppy. That might even let you create a 2.88 meg floppy image that could hold a lot more software, if desired.

And an even simpler system might work (warning: this is all theory and the proof is left to the reader): When you make a bootable CD with Nero 6 and above, if you don't provide it a floppy or a floppy image, it uses its own default DOS image (DRDOS if I remember correctly). So all that might be needed would be to put the Ghost program on the CD as a normal file and create a bootable CD letting Nero use it's own default DOS image. As long as that DOS image has drivers to read the CD then it should be able to open the CD and run Ghost off of that.