and
KNOPPIX-ADRIANE_V6.2CD-2009-11-18-EN.iso

I am downloading now.

Best Wishes
paradocs

Eppo
11-18-2009, 09:58 AM
Really a big surprise
Knoppix6.2 is joining the big round of the "release autumn" of major Linux-Distributions :D
http://www.knopper.net/knoppix/knoppix62-en.html

Clinton
11-18-2009, 09:07 PM
Yes, thanks guys, just got notification of that in my Google Alerts.

stunted
11-19-2009, 12:59 AM
Congratulations on getting this out the door, Love Knoppix since before 3.2. I actually spotted it on the tracker a couple of days ago and downloaded it then, (need ext4) I am on a share ratio of 0.70 but at some point during the night I started getting
Tracker: [Failure reason "requested download is not authorized for use with this tracker"]
in utorrent, any idea what that's about?

paradocs
11-19-2009, 03:39 AM
Hi all

Perhaps this tracker will be a good source:

Official Knoppix BitTorrent Tracker
http://torrent.unix-ag.uni-kl.de/

Best Wishes
paradocs

stunted
11-19-2009, 08:28 AM
Mmm, that's where I got my original .torrent file from but it's called
KNOPPIX_V6.2DVD-2009-11-15-EN.torrent
whereas the version up now is
KNOPPIX_V6.2DVD-2009-11-18-EN.torrent
does anyone know what changed? do I need to re-download?

Thanks.

Clinton
11-19-2009, 01:59 PM
There were some errors in the earlier downloads so the advice is to download the 18th November one.

Exact quote: Please make sure to download version 6.2 from 11/18/2009. Earlier versions from 15th and 17th november start with a wrongly set keyboard layout!

knopnet
11-20-2009, 12:13 AM
And be sure to get KNOPPIX-ADRIANE_V6.2CD-2009-11-18... if you want the enhancements for the vision impaired. Get KNOPPIX_V6.2CD-2009-11-18... if you don't want them.

wh7qq
11-20-2009, 12:48 AM
Congratulations!! 6.2 is gorgeous and fast. I'm just starting to shake out all the goodies in the live CD so the best may be yet to come. Thanks to all.

Paul

carolus
11-20-2009, 04:46 PM
Are package lists for the different iso files posted anywhere?

ryptyde
11-21-2009, 02:01 AM
Great release! Haven't had this much fun since 3.4. :)

carolus
11-21-2009, 06:26 AM
The 6.2 DVD is not yet a replacement for the 5.3.1 DVD as an instant scientific workstation. gfortran is missing (though libgfortran is present). maxima comes up with only the command-line interface. But hardware detection is improved. Wireless now works out-of-the-box on my laptop, and I don't have to fiddle with the mouse acceleration for the touchpad.

Harry Kuhman
11-22-2009, 01:59 AM
I was pretty negative about 6.0 and 6.1. But this release is a nice surprise. This is the first Knoppix that will support my wireless built into my HP notebook, and I didn't have to fool with that at all. Not sure if it will support some of the other wireless interfaces that I have, while other distros do, Knoppix has always come up short. But this is the first version of Knoppix that I've gotten wireless working with at all since 4.02. Some software even supports my webcam (although curiously other software sees it but can't use it!). There certainly are some problems (Google Gadgets is in the menu but is missing parts, for just one example). But there are a number of hidden treats too (I found both nmap and Wiureshark are there, although they don't show up in the menu). It's not prefect. I'm surprised that the ISO is so small for a DVD about 3.6 gig), and wish that at the least Klaus had included some games that were in there back as long ago as the 3.1 release but got stripped out of the CD releases to make room as bloat affected some of the more popular programs, if he didn't have more desirable productivity or technical programs to include. One that vanished long ago is a pool table game, but there were many others. I do expect others could suggest thiungs more important than games (like even the missing parts for Google Gadgets), but it is a shame to wast the disc space, and games are a good way to introduce people to a new OS.

I'm glad to have a version of Knoppix again that I wouldn't be ashamed to give away copies of.

ruymbeke
11-22-2009, 02:22 AM
Hello,
Whit the latest Knoppix 6.2.0 DVD, I just found out that I cannot switch to the the
Linux Consoles anymore from the GUI (by pressing the Ctrl+Alt+F1 keys as an example).
Did someone else experienced the same thing ? Any easy fix or solution ?
Best Regards,
Gilles

PS: The previous beta was ok (KNOPPIX_V6.2CD-2009-09-23-DE.iso)

ruymbeke
11-22-2009, 02:23 AM
Hello,
If you do not have a CD or a DVD reader (as some new laptops)
or do not have a burner or if you are just looking for a faster way to boot
please have a look at the ISO boot from a local hdd partition or from the network:
http://www.knoppix.net/forum/viewtopic.php?p=121620#121620
Hope this will help...
Best Regards,
Gilles

Marge
11-22-2009, 04:52 PM
Nice..
Beeing a newbie in linux, I was trying to update kernel from DVD 5.3.1 to 2.6.31.6, and here is the answer :)
Thanks.

ruymbeke
11-22-2009, 09:25 PM
Hello,
FYI, response from Klaus on the Knoppix Debian forum: use "sudo chvt 1" to switch to the console.
It works for me and this problem seems to be related to the nvidia cards.
I also found out that "sudo setxkbmap us" also fixes the Ctrl+Alt+F1 keys issue.
Best Regards,
Gilles

Hello,
Whit the latest Knoppix 6.2.0 DVD, I just found out that I cannot switch to the the
Linux Consoles anymore from the GUI (by pressing the Ctrl+Alt+F1 keys as an example).
Did someone else experienced the same thing ? Any easy fix or solution ?
Best Regards,
Gilles

PS: The previous beta was ok (KNOPPIX_V6.2CD-2009-09-23-DE.iso)

Ldot
12-03-2009, 06:43 PM
I just ordered the knoppix 6.2 dvd from OSDisc. Sorry to hear that gfortran is missing. That's what I liked about the 5.3 dvd . I had C and fortran and the Nedit editor on the dvd and could do some scientific coding. I hope the next release has the entire GCC package including the gnu fortran compiler . Until then I will be using the 5.3 dvd for code development.

fergus
12-22-2009, 11:00 AM
Sorry, don't like it. No libreadline, what's that about? Wireless awareness is nice, which 5.3.1 didn't have. And is there a way of turning off that horrible woman announcing system startup and system shutdown?

By the way I am sorry if this turns up as a <Reply> to another user's post. It's meant to be a new comment. But, for reasons I do not understand, my login is coming up as: