PDA

View Full Version : Cheat codes

RoyalMail
11-19-2009, 11:16 AM
OK, download version 6.2 burn to CD, boot, admire the lxde stuff, realise the keyboard is not tuned to uk use, check the 'Cheat Codes' page, reboot, BUT entering lang=uk is rejected as a valid command, keyboard=uk likewise! WTF! lang=en is a valid code but it doesn't sort the keyboard out for uk users.

So, my query is, how to setup with uk prefs on lang and keyboard?

And, out of interest, if I install to a disk. how to dump the lxde stuff for something more configurable like gnome?

patelbhavesh
11-21-2009, 12:36 AM
you can do

apt-get install kde or gnome
to install any of those desktops instead of lxde.

RoyalMail
11-21-2009, 01:13 PM
But that would give me all those unnecessary applications I don't like that come with gnome/kde by default. Wouldn't it? Really I like to know how to get the standard rescue disk to recognise a uk keyboard properly first.

RoyalMail
11-22-2009, 02:14 PM
OK, after a little research I find that there is a file for uk keyboards in /usr/share/X11/xdb/symbols named "gb" that contains the right customisations. After starting knoppix in run level 2 and trying various changes to the xorg.conf file and seeing no result, I guess the setup isn' t handled by xorg any more. So how to load this symbol file?

RoyalMail
11-23-2009, 04:00 PM
Ah, after trying (with a standard boot up of the Knoppix rescue CD) in a terminal "sudo setxkbmap gb" this fixes everything _except_ the UK pound sign (Shift-3) which prints as "?" - progress!