PDA

View Full Version : lvm resizing with Knoppix Live CD how to - here

brcisna
11-22-2009, 11:34 PM
Hello All,

Just wanted to document what it took to resize an lvm on an FC10 installed disk that needed to be shrunk to make room for installing another OS to the same disk.
After an FC10 Live Cd failed to alter the lvm(which after searching found there is a bug in the FC10 Live CD for doing this) I decided to try an Knoppix Live CD.
Knoppix Live CD 6.2
The lvm tools would not work correctly on this 6.2 Knoppix CD. The errors that would get thrown when trying to perform any of the lvm related commands was 'is dev-mapper driver built into the kernel'. Strange thing was when running the lvm pvs command would in fact show the correct disk size,etc. but when trying to alter anything the command would fail.
Here is what made everything work like a champ. I found this on a 5 year old post here on the Knoppix forums as a matter of fact.
-------------------------------------------
- mkdir /dev/mapper
- cd /dev/mapper
- mknod control c 10 63
- Load the device-mapper module required for LVM2 (type modprobe dm-mod).
--------------------------------------------
Now everything work correctly!
Here is a good tutorial for resizing an lvm disk,which can be very daunting until one gets acclimated with the many commands involved.

http://fedorasolved.org/Members/zcat/shrink-lvm-for-new-partition

Hope this helps someone as I spent much time getting this chore resolved.

Take Care,
BC

Strider
02-26-2010, 12:12 AM
brcisna,

8)

Thanks for the info on how to 'prepare' the Knoppix shell for LVM shrink. I had already found the Fedora link, but of course the instructions there didn't work -- until I found your helpful info on getting access to the LVM utilities. It worked like a charm! Thanks!

lxmonk
05-20-2010, 11:50 AM
I worked for me fine just like in the tutorial - which I found through this thread.
Thanks!