PDA

View Full Version : dead windows box --- knoppix live cd --- how to configure

silverwatersask
11-24-2009, 10:27 PM
I have a non bootable windows box that I have booted with the knoppix live cd .

I can look at all the drives on this windows box now.

I want to 'share' this computer on the local network so I can copy my data files across to another computer.
Now I had it working once but really I don't know what I did to get it so I could see it on the network.

help is greatly appreciated.

once i get this done I will have to do a restore.

Thanks for your help.

Brian

Harry Kuhman
11-24-2009, 10:40 PM
I've gotten Knoppix to share drives, but sometimes I have a lot more trouble than other times, and I really don't understand why. Others may be able to help talk you through that, it might be helpful if you tell them what version of Knoppix you are using and what type of system you want to connect to.

Personally, the way that I resolve this is to install a simple FTP server on the Windows box that I want to transfer files to, then use the browser in Knoppix as an FTP client to transfer the files. I used to use Konquror in prior versions of Knoppix, have not done this yet with Knoppix 6.2 but I understand that Konquror may be missing in that release. Other browsers should still work as an ftp client, or even the command line FTP client, but this is all theory and the proof is left to the user.

One nice benefit that you would see from using an FTP arrangement to transfer files is that FTP is much much faster than Microsoft file sharing, particularly when they are file sharing with Linux (Which they seem to deliberately make slower).

chip.ling
01-13-2010, 07:27 PM
I have a non bootable windows box that I have booted with the knoppix live cd .

I can look at all the drives on this windows box now.

I want to 'share' this computer on the local network so I can copy my data files across to another computer.
Now I had it working once but really I don't know what I did to get it so I could see it on the network.

help is greatly appreciated.

once i get this done I will have to do a restore.

Thanks for your help.

Brian

Brian,

Beside the FTP option that Harry sugested, another option is to use the smb to share your non-bootable windows box.

Check out here Q2, 3 and 5 on how to setup the Samba in your network:

http://www.knoppix.net/wiki/Network_Shared_Drive_FAQ

Rgds,
Chip