PDA

View Full Version : USB Wireless acting funny

Pantherman
11-26-2009, 06:52 AM
So, i got my father this wireless USB dongle about a year ago for his windows box. He has since decided that he wanted to switch over to Linux and I thought that Knoppix would be a great distro for him to learn off of. Everything works out of the box except for the USB wireless.

Now the thing is as generic as it can get, no model numbers or anything so I don't even know who made it. It is recognized by Knoppix 6.2 (CD edition) but doesn't see any networks through the network applet in the system tray, I went with iwconfig as I am accustomed to it and tried to get it to work that way.

However, no matter what I do, the green light on the USB wireless flashes (indacating that it's ready) but the red light never flashes indicating that it's sending or receiving data. And Link Quality, Signal level and noise level are all at 0. What am I missing here? I would like to find some way to make this thing work without ndiswrapper as I don't know that he still has the driver CD for it. His system is only about 3 years old, it runs everything else on the CD pretty good so i know that the computer can handle it.

Pantherman