PDA

View Full Version : Getting a TV receiver working under Knoppix

Harry Kuhman
11-28-2009, 02:52 AM
I'm trying to get a USB TV receiver working under Knoppix 6.2 DVD and I'm hoping some of the more experienced Linux users can put me on the correct path.

I'm in the U.S. I have both an ATI TV Wonder 600 USB receiver and a Happauge WinTV HVR 950Q USB receiver. Both are designed for digital signals. To my pleasant surprise, Knoppix 6.2 seems to detect either of them. In the Sound & Video section of the menu I found Kaffeine. It sees the receivers, knows which one is plugged in. I can go into configure and (under the device tab) set it for over the air ATSC reception. At least I think I'm doing that, I select us-ATSC-center-frequencies-8VSB, although I have no idea what 8VSB stands for. It seems the only ATSC selection I'm offered. Then I can go into the channel scan Here I check the ACTS option in "Filter". I've tried it both also checking the TV box or leaving it unchecked and only checking ATSC (What is the difference?) but in either case the channel scan gets no stations. I've also tried with no filter option checked, since I'm already telling the system that the tuner should be used for ATSC over-the-air reception. It should be getting stations, a scan from Windows with the same receivers and same antennas get plenty of stations.

Can anyone provide insight on what I might be doing wrong?

Are there other tools on the DVD that might help in diagnosing this, even other TV software that I could try (and can you provide any important and non-obvious set-up information)?

OErjan
11-28-2009, 07:02 PM
ihave had trouble with ahaupage card, it loaded wrong firmware, check the device ID " 045e:073 " is my mouse just now (not my computer), your TV card has similar, then look on the web for any firmware issues.

Harry Kuhman
11-28-2009, 09:05 PM
ihave had trouble with ahaupage card, it loaded wrong firmware, check the device ID " 045e:073 " is my mouse just now (not my computer), your TV card has similar, then look on the web for any firmware issues.
I don't understand. Do you mean software driver, rather than firmware? The firmware in the receivers doesn't seem likely to change. I'm not clear what to do with or about a "device ID" or what you were trying to say about your mouse.

OErjan
11-29-2009, 01:27 PM
sorry to be unclear.
one of the DVB-T tuners I have has a firmware "image" that gets loaded with the module, there was an error in the one that came with Debian (now fixed), i had troubles similar to yours, I could "see" the card and work it, but no channel.
I found a report about firmware error when I googled with the Device ID, so I found a working one and replaced the broken firmware, just swapped files (i think i got mine from Ubuntu), things started working.
this is in Debian testing, but as we both know knoppix is related.

here is what google found me on the ATI, same talk about firmware.
http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=885293
same here
http://www.linuxforums.org/forum/peripherals-hardware/131790-ati-tv-wonder-600-usb-2-0-0438-b002-linux-2-6-26-kernel.html

the hauppage i can not get to work 100%, not certain why.
here is a nice Wiki
http://linuxtv.org/wiki/index.php/ATI/AMD_TV_Wonder_HD_600_USB#Firmware