PDA

View Full Version : No suitable Xserver

ksskruthic
06-06-2003, 08:48 PM
Firstly to mention is that I am a Newbie to Linux itsel..with just a few commands that i know perfectly...

Configuation that i have is :
PIII processor - - 850 MHz (256kb cache memory)
256MB RAM

I have booted from the Knoppix bootable cdrom saying (the cd given to me is an english version..)

knoppix lang=us

but it doesnt work...Everything seems to work fine but in the backgroung..I mean nothing is shown on the monitor..I have tried all the other modes(like screen=640x800...etc) but nothing seems to work ..I have even tried.

knoppix vga=normal

but even this doesnt work.. :shock: I've even typed 'scan' in the middle of the installation when it replied saying.."Undefined mode no.:assuming transperency..to get other modes & even tried those..but nothing seems to be displayed..but when a mouse click is given the cd runs indicating that the system is not hung....and when alt+crtl+F1 is pressed it returns back to command line as usual and al Linux commands do wrok fine(ofcourse 'startx' doesnt ..error msg'ing that it is already runnig)

Can anyone help me.... Thanx in advance..

rickenbacherus
06-06-2003, 09:03 PM
As you can see I've split your post so that you have a getter chance of getting assistance. Check out the Docs link at the top of the page. Look at the cheatcodes.
Check the md5sum of the .iso you burned, boot with testcd- if those check out OK then boot like so:

failsafe

Are you aware that you may string the codes together like so:
knoppix lang=us xserver=XF86_SVGA xvrefresh=60

See if you can get it to work using more than one cheat code. All of this has been discussed exhaustively- use the search function in the upper right hand corner as well.

Give us some hardware details- we need a little more to work with here, specifically your video card and video RAM.

ksskruthic
06-06-2003, 09:40 PM
thanx for the response..
I have the intel chipset (i810) with built in sound card & VGA.. I have the SAMTEL monitor.. I had even run knoppix live cd on my friend's machine with LG monitor & 128 MB RAM 900MHz prcossor but the problem persists.

I have tried other combinations of the cheat codes but it doesnt seem to
work. The monitor blinks for 3 times (when a screen = ...x... option is specified) msg'ing that
"Using Modes 1024x1000 600x800 .." etc..
But the system doesnt seem to hang. thanx in advance

rickenbacherus
06-07-2003, 02:58 AM
thanx for the response..
I have the intel chipset (i810) with built in sound card & VGA.. I have the SAMTEL monitor

Do you have the specs for your monitor? Get the vertical refresh rates and boot that way.

.. I had even run knoppix live cd on my friend's machine with LG monitor & 128 MB RAM 900MHz prcossor but the problem persists.

I'm not sure how this is relevant in this situation.

I have tried other combinations of the cheat codes but it doesnt seem to
work. The monitor blinks for 3 times (when a screen = ...x... option is specified) msg'ing that
"Using Modes 1024x1000 600x800 .." etc..
But the system doesnt seem to hang. thanx in advance

But- did you boot with testcd and then failsafe?

If all the above fails boot knoppix 2 which will put you to the CLI and then reconfigure your Xserver right there- if your configuration won't work then it just dumps you back to the CLI instead of having to reboot each time. Make sense?

ksskruthic
06-07-2003, 09:27 AM
ok thanx I'll try with these options...Anyway as I am dam new to this Linux environment i cant get wat CLI means. Anyway i'd likeu to suggest me site for learning things abt LINUX..is the /docs/. on this site Ok or anything else..
Give me a best site to know everything abt LINUX from newbie clarificatons to advanced programming in LINUX..

Thanx in advance

rickenbacherus
06-07-2003, 09:57 AM
CLI= Command Line Interface

Start here (http://www.knoppix.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=2398)

ksskruthic
06-09-2003, 07:33 PM
Hey thanx.. I've got my problem solved with vertical refresh rate but the resolution is not set.. the desktop is toooo big(with big font,letters) & I cant change the resolution on the fly using CRTL-ALT-(+ / -)...
I have tried all the resolutions..even using 'scan' but doesnt seem to work.. I set the vertiucal refresh rate to 60..should i have to increaseitr or is this the resolution prob.
thanx
ur site is koool. its great..thanx for this.

rickenbacherus
06-10-2003, 12:04 AM
Have a look at my XF86Config-4. The only resolutions available are the three listed. You can add whatever resolution you want just follow the format and you'll be fine. You could put as many or as few resolutions as you like. Don't forget to set your default depth too!

Section "Screen"
Identifier "Screen0"
Device "Card0"
Monitor "Monitor0"
DefaultColorDepth 24
SubSection "Display"
Depth 1
Modes "1024x768" "800x600" "640x480"
EndSubSection
SubSection "Display"
Depth 4
EndSubSection
SubSection "Display"
Depth 8
EndSubSection
SubSection "Display"
Depth 15
EndSubSection
SubSection "Display"
Depth 16
EndSubSection
SubSection "Display"
Depth 24
EndSubSection
SubSection "Display"
Depth 32
EndSubSection

ksskruthic
06-10-2003, 05:35 AM
Thanx for the code...but can u tell me how i can use this code & where can i put it for use :?:

rickenbacherus
06-10-2003, 08:19 AM
Thanx for the code...but can u tell me how i can use this code & where can i put it for use :?:

# mcedit /etc/X11/XF86Config-4

Or use any editor you like- I just happen to prefer mc. Just do it as root so you can save the file.

ksskruthic
06-10-2003, 07:55 PM
Well do u mean to say that creating this file my resolution is set..?? Ok then where is it that i haveto use this file..is it art the boot prompt..Kindly explain in detail.. as i am a newbie to all this stuff :wink:

Also my KDE is very much big as the resolution is not set correctly..where can i find the resolution change in the GUI eenvironment?? I cannot see the whole window...any suggestions..

May be the code u gave me could be helpful. Explain me how can i use it & where..i mean how is it useful for me at this moment..
Thanx for ur regular support. :D

rickenbacherus
06-11-2003, 12:44 AM
OK let's start over.
From the Kmenu select a ROOT shell.

OR

Open any terminal and become root like so:

su
<password>

When you open the terminal you then have a command prompt just like in windows only it is MUCH more functional. You will use it often, If you are given code it is usually implied that you should enter it in a terminal.

This symbol: $
Indicates that you are a user. Your username might be ksskruthic for example.

This symbol #
Indicates that you are root
When you are root you have complete control over your machine. You can cause great damage when working as root. You must be root to edit or save a file (there are exceptions). Be careful.
-------------------------------------------------------------

There is a file on your machine named XF86Config-4. It contains all the details regarding your monitor, video card, resolution, color depth etc. You can edit this file by entering everything typed in bold in a terminal:

#xedit /etc/X11/XF86Config-4

Now you should have a somewhat large file open in a text editor called Xedit.

In your file named XF86Config-4 you should make sure you have more than one resolution available to use.

Look for the section of the file that looks like this:

Section "Screen"
Identifier "Screen0"
Device "Card0"
Monitor "Monitor0"
DefaultColorDepth 24
SubSection "Display"
Depth 1
EndSubSection
SubSection "Display"
Depth 4
EndSubSection
SubSection "Display"
Depth 8
EndSubSection
SubSection "Display"
Depth 15
EndSubSection
SubSection "Display"
Depth 16
EndSubSection
SubSection "Display"
Depth 24
EndSubSection
SubSection "Display"
Depth 32
EndSubSection

Make the lines that say Modes look like they do in this example. These are the resolutions that you are going to use. You may enter your own resolutions if you like. Just follow the examples I have given you above. After you edit the file so that it has all of the resolutions that you want you must be sure to save the file. Then do this:

CTRL+ALT+BKSPC

That will kill your Xserver. The Xserver should restart. Log in again. Then try CTRL+ALT+ +/-

If you cannot make this work you could also do the same thing by booting the Knoppix cd. You would need to mount the partition that has your installation on it and edit the file from there. If you search at this site I think you will find information on how to boot the Knoppix cd, mount a partition, make it writeable, edit files and save files. It is rather easy to do.

ksskruthic
06-14-2003, 08:00 PM
Just as u said I checkled out my xconfig-4 file. The screen section is just similar to what u have give me..excepting the DefaultColorDepth was 16. Does taht make-up the problem..?? :roll: And also I am not able to use su. because all the passwords In a knoppix cd are locked.. How should I perform this from a cd.. I didnt get it even after a search.. Knildly help me as I am a newe user to linux & very much interested to get acquainted with it & also to fix to linux if I knew how to do all the things in Linux just as I do in windows..
:D Thanx for ur co-operation.
Thanx again