PDA

View Full Version : max size for persistent storage on Knoppix 6.0.1 is <900M

zsd
12-02-2009, 04:13 AM
I am using Knoppix 6.0.1 (CD) and creating USB flash drives. When I boot the USB drive, it asks me if I want to create a persistent storage area.

800 MB and smaller numbers I have tried works fine. 900 MB and larger numbers I have tried don't work. (Yes, I don't have the exact error message, sorry, but IIRC it complains about an I/O error.) And yes, this is on a USB drive with plenty of free space.

Can anyone out there either comfirm this is also a problem for you, or that you are able to create larger persistent storage areas?

Thanks.

Jim

ryptyde
12-04-2009, 01:38 AM
I have used the Knoppix 6.2 livecd to create a liveusb on a 2 GB flash drive.
A persistent overlay of 1024 MB was used and is working. I haven't tried it on a larger
storage device yet.

zsd
12-06-2009, 06:22 PM
Thanks for the update. I am looking to move my project to 6.2, but I'm not there yet.

zsd
12-07-2009, 07:01 PM
Thanks for the update. I am looking to move my project to 6.2, but I'm not there yet.

Just managed to create a 3 GB persistent storage area on Knoppix 6.2. I guess I'll stop worrying about 6.0.1...

zsd
12-17-2009, 12:12 AM
Excuse me for following up to myself yet again, but in case someone else runs into this same problem...

I usually create a bootable USB flash drive by booting my remastered .iso using virtualbox, assigning the USB drive to virtualbox, and then running flash-knoppix. This seems to work very reliably.

I can then boot the USB drive from vbox, or from a "real" computer. But if I try to create a large (> 800 MB or so) persistent storage area when using vbox, it seems to always produce an unreliable storage area. Everything seems fine during the boot session where I created the persistent storage area, but on the next boot (regardless of whether it using vbox or using real hardware) there are various complaints, and the system normally won't finish booting at all.

If I create the persistent storage area using real hardware I don't seem to have this problem. I am guessing there is some weird issue with the USB device access from vbox (3.0.10), but...