PDA

View Full Version : Knoppix 6.2 persistent image (i am doing it wrong) help

cyril0
12-02-2009, 04:22 PM
Good morning.

I just downloaded 6.2 cd image and I am very impressed. I have not used knoppix in some years and the progress made with unionfs is astounding. Now if only I could figure out how to use it.

I have a cd of 6.2, I also have a usb drive on /dev/sdb1

I used the menu->Prefernces->install KNOPPIX to flash disk

option

The system asks me to choose formating etc. I follow the instructions and it seems like I created the img. I can even mount it and see the data. I cannot seem to save any of my personal data to the system however

I cannot find the knoppix-data.img file anywhere, doesn't seem like it was created.

also when I boot from the cdrom I would like to restore my personal data

I treid knoppix home=scan and knoppix home=/dev/sdb1 but neither worked.

I am running a mac and as such can not boot from usb and I would like to take advantage of the cd based persistent img on a usb stick. How do I use this option on 6.2?

There is no crete persistent image tool in my menu.

ideas?

Also I was wondering if people trade their knoppix images with cutomizations for various computers. It would be cool specifically for those of us with laptops as they tend to have identical configuations by brand/model.

Please help

ideally I would be able to boot from cd with all my customizations intact.

configure the one button trackpad to work correctly, install flash for youtube, cofigure hotkeys etc.

Please let me know

ryptyde
12-04-2009, 12:52 AM
I have used the 6.2 livecd and used the "install to flash" on a 2 GB usb device. I can boot from usb
on my Acer Aspire One laptop and during the boot up process was asked to create a persistent overlay.
I chose a size of 1024 MB and after getting to the desktop and personalizing it and adding new packages
and subsequent rebooting changes were saved.

Not sure how to create a persistent overlay to use on a Mac though.