PDA

View Full Version : Recognizing the Intel processor

pigy
12-09-2009, 02:37 PM
I am trying Knoppix ver.6.0.1 on IBM ThinkPad 380XD. While booting from CD, there is also message:
CPU0: Mobile Pentium MMX @232MHz, 0KB Cache

After installing Knoppix on HDD and reboot, there is a different message:
[ 1.503542]microcode: CPU0 not a capable Intell processor

Why the hardware recognision process is so different while booting from CD and HDD? Does it have the influence on system functionality?

Harry Kuhman
12-09-2009, 02:50 PM
Just another example of a basic truth, Knoppix wasn't intended for installing to hard disk and many things fail for those who insist on doing that.

Knoppix is a Live CD or DVD. If you want an installed distro, there are many to select from. If you like Knoppix then Debian, the distro that Knoppix was created from, might be a good choice.

pigy
12-09-2009, 03:50 PM
I am new in linux, so live CD is easy way to try new OS. Debian Live is unable to boot, because the kernel the cmov feature on cpu, which is not supported by my PC. I will try some older version of Debian. Anyway, Knoppix works qite well, so for first steps it is OK.
I am sorry for choosing incorrect forum for my topic. Thank you very much for correcting my mistake and explanation.

Harry Kuhman
12-09-2009, 04:01 PM
I am new in linux, so live CD is easy way to try new OS......
As a live CD, Knoppix is great. I have not tried Debian live, but wouldn't expect as much from it,"Live" isn't the focus of Debian. But when you decide to install something, you should be aware that there are a lot of problems with installing Knoppix that make it unsuitable, the strange booting message is pretty minor compared to many others. If Knoppix runs OK on your hardware then you should be able to install Debian, and make it do everything that Knoppix can do and a lot more.