PDA

View Full Version : PXE boot Knoppix from Win2003 server?

Screech
12-10-2009, 03:16 AM
I'm having a time with this. To start with, this is my first attempt at using PXE boot, but the need has come up due to several of the newer systems not having CD drives. I could provide a USB optical drive, or thumbdrive, to each tech but the new systems all support PXE booting so they would not have to carry anything more and it saves some money.

I started the DVD on a stand alone computer and started the terminal server. Then copied the mnt-system and tfptboot folders to my thumb drive. I then setup the tftp and ftp servers on the Win2003 system to support the folders and filled them with the files from the thumb drive. Adjusted the Win2003 DHCP to point to the pxe host and image file.

It starts to load, gets a few "/modules/..." not found errors but continues on until it fails to find the image. Right now my thoughts are that it is the "/" Linux is using versus the "\" that Windows expects. I would just boot the DVD from a spare computer and start the terminal server, but I don't want a DHCP conflict. I'm not a Linux guru, but use it when it is the best tool, which is more and more common as I learn more about it, but I'm still unsure if there is a setting in the Windows Server or the pxelinux.cfg/default that can resolve this.

Any guidance would be great.

Screech
12-14-2009, 07:59 PM
I had started out looking into booting a virtual machine running Linux with the mnt-system share and directing the default file on the tftproot host to point to that IP. Glad I kept digging around.

Found that for me the best solution was install Windows Services for Unix on my Windows 2003 server. This is all that I needed to get the NFS shares. Then enabled "Let Everyone permissions apply to anonymous users". Now I can boot any of the computers to Knoppix via PXE.

Only side affect I've noticed so far is that I can't get Knoppix loaded this way to shutdown or restart, it just close and reload the GUI. For now the Reset button/power cycle will work, but I would like to be able to shut down normally.