PDA

View Full Version : How do you install files in Knoppix?

FireDragonEater
12-15-2009, 08:07 AM
Hi I really am keen with Linux but don't want to install it untill I no how to install programs inside it.
Hope You can help,
FireDragonEater

Harry Kuhman
12-15-2009, 08:37 AM
Are you really from the UK where your post came from? Most people there know the difference between know and no. End of grammar cops mode.

Assuming that your request is legitimate, one of the problem with Linux that has impacted the wider distribution of the OS is that different "distros" use different tools to install software. The same package that you can install in Debian, for example, will present problems to try to install in Red Hat. So the exact procedure that you use will depend on the distro that you choose to install. And Knoppix is certainly not a good choice for you to install.

However, if you want to try to install something in Knoppix (which may work or may cause problems due to the design choices made for Knoppix as a Live CD), you can try to use the apt system. Look up apt and/or apt-get on Google and read the man-page for apt-get. This will give you some experience with the tool used by Debian and many Debian derived distributions, so if you choose to install Debian later, you will know how to install additional programs in it (it is extremely easy).

Part of the normal apt system is an update command. I suggest that you do not want to do any updates with knoppix, no matter what documentation on the apt system says. That will likely break knoppix. Update is, of course, fine when using a true installed system like Debian.

Clinton
12-15-2009, 11:44 AM
I understand Harry's concern. We do often get people signing up and making a fake first post to try and look like genuine members before they start spamming the boards. Sometimes the wording of the post is a giveaway.

Genuine members normally continue to post after someone has taken the time to answer their query (even if it's just to say thanks) and I hope FireDragonEater is one of the Good Guys.

FireDragonEater
12-15-2009, 05:00 PM
I am not a spammer I have just been at school. Thanks for the reply and sorry for raising suspicion.

Harry Kuhman
12-15-2009, 05:21 PM
I am not a spammer I have just been at school. Thanks for the reply and sorry for raising suspicion.
Well, I'm hardly one to be a grammar cop. I was absent the day that they taught spelling and I make plenty of typos. I do have some issues with the English language myself, in particular I take offense with the rules for "it's" and "its". There is no way that I can see that its should be the possessive form on the noun, and when I rule the world (and I really think that I should), "its" will be reserved for the rare case of more than one it. I usually can't proofread worth a darn, the doctors and teachers say it's because my mind takes in whole sentences or even paragraphs, and even when I do try to look at individual words and letters my mind sees what should be there, not what is there.

But even with all of that your use of "no" stuck out. I didn't think you were a spammer, all of my tests on a new account came up clean. But the wording sure looked suspicious, particularly since you are posting from a part of the world where English is generally a first language. This is more typical of an error that one sees from someone in the far east who has some exposure to spoken English but less to written English.

If you want to be taken more seriously in forums (and perhaps in life), avoid sloppy errors in the language, particularly no and know.

Anyway, I hope that I've given you enough information on how to install "files" in Knoppix to at least get you started.

FireDragonEater
12-15-2009, 05:24 PM
Yes, Thank you and there is such a thing as a simple mistake.

Clinton
12-15-2009, 07:42 PM
Moving on :) ... FireDragonEater, have you given it a shot? How did you get on?

FireDragonEater
12-15-2009, 08:53 PM
Yes lets and currently not very well as the PC I was gunna give it a shoot on graphics card just broke :(
So I will be trying from a live cd on this machine later but I am currently doing a complete backup of this machine.