PDA

View Full Version : Booting Knoppix 5.3 on Compaq Presario CQ61-313us Laptop

bfree666
12-17-2009, 03:54 PM
I am having trouble booting Knoppix 5.3 on my new Compaq Presario CQ61-313us laptop.
The DVD works fine on my HP nc6220 laptop - so DVD is OK.
Configuration:
AMD Athlon™ II Dual-Core Processor for Notebook PCs M300
3GB installed memory
250GB hard drive
LightScribe SuperMulti 8X DVDñR/RW with Double Layer Support
15.6" Diagonal High Definition HP BrightView Display (1366x768)
HP Imprint finish & HP Webcam with integrated microphone
Built-in wireless WLAN 802.11b/g wirelessly connects to the Internet
5-in-1 integrated Digital Media Reader

Normal boot sequence stops at line udev hardware detection line and I get multiple errors - 2631 & 2293 & 2674 & 2102
I have tried
knoppix vga=0 - hangs the laptop
knoppix acpi=off pnpbios=off noapic noapm - hangs the laptop
knoppix acpi=off pnpbios=off noapic noapm hangs the laptop
knoppix vga=0 debug -b 3 - hangs the laptop
failsafe debug -b 3 - starts the system - has trouble midway - but finally I am able to do init 5 and get to desktop

The challenge is that network card, sound etc are not being recognized.

Please suggest.

ckamin
12-18-2009, 08:37 AM
Does the failsafe cheatcode work by itself? Do you need the debug, etc to boot? If the system will boot under failsafe you should look at what the failsafe mode is comprised of and you can use a process of elimination and try each cheat code separately or in combination, until the offending issue is resolved. For a description of "failsafe", look at the documentation here: http://www.knoppix.net/wiki/Cheat_Codes You probably have not found the right combination yet and have a little more experimentation to try for your cheatcode commands. The -b is similar to failsafe, in that very little hardware detection is done. Try one or the other and then try to find what component is at the root of the issue. Network, sound, etc were not set up during the boot process, since failsafe or -b had disabled most hardware detection. You might be able to set it up after the stripped down boot process using something like alsaconf, etc.

You might want to try a later version of Knoppix. Sometimes the newer Kernel will better support some hardware.

As for the error codes, I can't really help you there, since I do not have a list of what they might mean or even know if one would be useful.

I had some issues with an AMD based laptop and found that the ATI/Radeon graphics was the issue. You might try some configuration cheat codes there.

In summary, try to narrow it down, rather than turning everything off.

Also, the fact that a disk will work in one system/drive, does not mean that it will work in another system/drive. Burning the disks at a slow speed will usually help compatibility. Some drives may also be more sensiutive to media. One of my laptops will not read DVD-R media well and does fine with DVD+R, even though the specs support the -R media.