PDA

View Full Version : It isnt possible to get write Acces with Knoppix-User

frustrated
12-20-2009, 12:49 AM
Hello,

I tried now and searched the web for hours, but just cannot activate HD write access for the User Knoppix on my 6.1 Knoppix Version (from ct).
I do not get the option as declared in the FAQ to enable this access. I also cannot set the access in the properties, as the user Knoppix does not have the rights to do this.II also cannot remount it as the user Knoppix does not have the right to do this. I can mount it as root, but then I still cannot get write access as Knoppix user. And I need this write access as Knoppix user, otherwise the GUI-Filemanager is uselss, as the Gui is running on Knoppix user.

Please someone help. PLEASE. Im quite desparate...As I need the Knoppix now...(as probably most do for a LIVE-System...)

ndb
12-20-2009, 12:04 PM
You haven't mentioned what type of partition your hard drive is. If it's NTFS, I would strongly recommend against making it writable, as Knoppix can't safely write to a NTFS partition. FAT or EXT3 should be OK. I've been able to set my Linux partition as writable using Puppy Linux, which is based on Knoppix.

rusty
12-20-2009, 03:19 PM
If you need GUI access, you can have it as root by clicking on Run from the start menu and entering pcmanfm. If you need to have write permission on the target drive, open a terminal and type
man chmod

You should be able to recursively allow user knoppix to have write priviliedges on the files on the drive and then use the GUI file manager.

Warnings about writing to NTFS still apply.

Good Luck.

ICPUG
12-21-2009, 07:08 PM
ndb

Puppy Linux is definitely NOT based on Knoppix. It is not based on any other Linux but independently developed by Barry Kauler. I use both but I use Puppy more often these days.

As to whether you can write to NTFS - I do it all the time with Puppy. There are always warnings but no definitive justification as to why not to. All I know is that there was a rather esoteric write problem when using versions of ntfs-3g in the past. Version 1.2506 (May 2008) solved this problem. I don't know whether Knoppix uses a later version but I would have thought so.

Of course, one can never be sure that software is bug free but would I regard ntfs-3g any less trustworthy than Windows itself? I guess we each have to make our own decision on that - but my experience is that I am happy to trust ntfs-3g. Of course, whether one uses Windows or anything else one should keep backups of important data.

rusty
12-21-2009, 11:16 PM
OOPS - My previous post said to click on Run from the start menu and enter pcmanfm, it should have read click on Run from the start menu and enter sudo pcmanfm

Similarly, I meant that the OP should open a root terminal and perform any permission changing commands.

My bad.