PDA

View Full Version : New Knoppix: V3.2-2003-06-06

Loper
06-07-2003, 04:43 AM
The new version is here, and seems to have propagated across the mirrors. From the ChangeLog:

V3.2-2003-06-06
- New version of loop-aes (1.7c)
- Remaining KDE 3.1.2 packages updated
- kudzu and hardware detection update
- Patches to knoppix-autoconfig for Fabian's upcoming new installer
- Lots of package updates
- grace plotting program removed because of space reasons (see QUANTIAN, http://dirk.eddelbuettel.com/quantian.html for a scientific Knoppix edition)
- bximage for bochs added, and bochs update
- Always start apmd in case of APM bios (some newer notebooks seem to need it, otherwise they go into suspend mode after 10 minutes)
I got mine! :)

sevengraff
06-07-2003, 05:48 AM
Im going to hard-drive install this one for sure.

RoadKill
06-07-2003, 07:05 PM
I am curious if anybody else is having issues with the boot time on this release V3.2-2003-06-06? I've burned several CDs and tried 3 different PCs with the same result. Maybe my iso is hosed?

kbreen
06-07-2003, 08:27 PM
anyone know how you get a new package added to a Knoppix release?
e.g. I'd like to see the Mozilla Firebird browser added

or is it in this latest release already?

sevengraff
06-07-2003, 09:00 PM
I am curious if anybody else is having issues with the boot time on this release V3.2-2003-06-06? I've burned several CDs and tried 3 different PCs with the same result. Maybe my iso is hosed?

I am having no problems with it booting.

fish_guy
06-08-2003, 03:13 AM
Does anyone have a bittorrent file up?

--Jayme

ls_linux
06-08-2003, 04:49 AM
can you please privide links to mirrors that have the 06-06-03? Thanks. I checked 2 but not there yet.

ls_linux
06-08-2003, 04:52 AM
never mind, saw mirrors at the Get Knoppix submenu

Mgz
06-08-2003, 10:12 AM
anyone know how you get a new package added to a Knoppix release?
e.g. I'd like to see the Mozilla Firebird browser added

or is it in this latest release already?

I second that :)

Hallo from a FireBird folk :P ( uum,umm, fireBIRD is delicious ;)

svs
06-09-2003, 10:06 AM
What kernel version latest Knoppix use?

dunbar
06-09-2003, 03:58 PM
What are your 'results' - just running slow every which way?If so, what is the speed of your drive?
If you refer to the detection phases of boot, I've tried Knoppix in a half dozen machines, boot speed depends on the hardware of the system; some hardware is quick, some hardware needs nearly 2 minutes (give or take) to finish the green 'bargraph' detection section. If this is the problem, maybe you can specify boot options and make this go faster.

HTH, HAND.

Stephen
06-09-2003, 05:59 PM
What kernel version latest Knoppix use?

2.4.20 with patches for xfs and longer comand line for boot parameters AFAIK.

fhayashi
06-09-2003, 08:15 PM

I just went through this problem, burning 4 CDs... I'd get errors during bootup during the ramdisk setup, though bootup would go on for a while, only to hang with a black screen with a mouse arrow.

I finally burned the fifth CD with the *slowest* setting on the burning software's option. No problem once I did that.

ketthors
06-09-2003, 10:47 PM

I have no trouble with boot time with V3.2-2003-06-06 on my sys.

drdream
06-09-2003, 11:10 PM
Can you put in the next version of knoppix, gnome2.2 as an alternative to kde? thx

ketthors
06-10-2003, 01:45 AM
Can you put in the next version of knoppix, gnome2.2 as an alternative to kde? thx

AFAIK the problem is the space.

RoadKill
06-10-2003, 04:14 AM

I have no trouble with boot time with V3.2-2003-06-06 on my sys.

Thanx everybody for the replies. The problem was poor cd media. For whatever reason they work fine with slightly smaller ISOs but give grief with the big knop iso. I picked up some new media and it worked fine.

Loper
06-10-2003, 10:40 PM
Can you put in the next version of knoppix, gnome2.2 as an alternative to kde?
Check out Gnoppix: http://www.gnoppix.org/

I have not tried this myself, but I do like the idea.

It looks like the download is not yet available, but I'm gonna keep an eye on it...

jbrbv
06-11-2003, 09:26 PM
Can you put in the next version of knoppix, support for ATMEL based WLAN cards (PCMCIA)?

thx

Henk Poley
06-13-2003, 02:26 PM
See here: http://www.boegenielsen.dk/knoppix/

You can also find clusterKnoppix there. :-)
Both english only...

BTW, maybe some mod can email the guy if he minds being in the mirror list?

iocain
06-13-2003, 07:06 PM
See here: http://www.boegenielsen.dk/knoppix/
Ah, excellent! Although I'm getting it a lot quicker using axel and several mirrors, since nobody else seems to be torrenting right now...

Whether or not they get added to the official mirrors, though, I'm adding them to my axel list!

mindstorm
07-04-2003, 04:17 AM
Im going to hard-drive install this one for sure.
I just have done a HDD install as of the day it came out, now nearly a month later this is the best installation i have ever completed on this notebook, every other distro i have used has without fail ran slower then frozen yogurt. Knoppix 6/6/2003 has broken that tradition and is quite quick. Good job team! HDD Installation is fine for me now ;) :twisted:

mindstorm
07-04-2003, 04:20 AM

AFAIK the problem is the space.

It would be very nice if there where multiple flavors of knoppix availible with gnome and with KDE and perhaps a light version with WindowMaker and/or fluxbox. Just a thought, anyone up to taking this strain of knoppix on? :)

Stephen
07-04-2003, 06:21 AM
It would be very nice if there where multiple flavors of knoppix availible with gnome and with KDE and perhaps a light version with WindowMaker and/or fluxbox. Just a thought, anyone up to taking this strain of knoppix on? :)
There's all kinds of them check here (http://www.knoppix.net/docs/index.php/KnoppixCustomizations)

softgun
07-05-2003, 04:47 PM
Knoppix should try and support ADSL modems, both USB and ethernet. This is specially important as with Debians apt-get we can install all we want and keep us updated.
OK It is best known as a LIVE_CD, but many are using this as a way to install Debian - as the original Debian install is laborious.

Next on knoppix wish list is to build our ISO online by adding the software we need from a list to the ISO and THEN downloading - customization on -line :P

Zuron007
07-14-2003, 01:47 AM
i think that usb support would be great especially if the HD install used the same autoconfig as a startup as it does from the cd. What would be even better is if it also supported well known usb WLANs as well. However, I must say i like the idea of a customizable knoppix that you design online and then can download.

yhw22
07-20-2003, 09:36 AM

I just went through this problem, burning 4 CDs... I'd get errors during bootup during the ramdisk setup, though bootup would go on for a while, only to hang with a black screen with a mouse arrow.

I finally burned the fifth CD with the *slowest* setting on the burning software's option. No problem once I did that.

Do u need 2 make e cd bootable?? If so, u noe how 2 do it wif nero?? should i make a bootable disk then burn e file 2 e cd or vice versa????

Help!!! :(