PDA

View Full Version : Loading error!

FiReCraZy
12-27-2009, 06:58 AM
Hi everyone, i just started using Knoppix today. Reason for use is because the windows folder on my desktop are corrupted and so i cannot log in properly (safe mode doesnt work either). As a result, im attempting to use knoppix to access my important files b4 backing them up. Then making a clean windows install.

So, i burn the iso onto a CD using the laptop, then powered on my desktop and inserted the CD.

However, after a minute or 2, the knoppix screen freezes. These are the messages i c, b4 the freeze.

Welcome to Knoppix 6 based on MICROKNOPPIX!

*Computer specs
>>> Starting in Live-Mode. <<<
>>> Please do not remove medium until shutdown! <<<
/sbin/init: line 1: syntax error near unexpected token `<'
/sbin/init: line 1: `<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
'

_

Yup, thats wat i c for a short while, then it freezes. Muchly appreciated if any1 can help me out here. Thanks heaps.

Harry Kuhman
12-27-2009, 07:31 AM
This is a very strange error for Knoppix. Did you confirm the md5 checksum of the ISO file that you downloaded? If not, follow the documentation link near the top of this page t get to our wiki, and read the downloading FAQ for details on the md5 check.

FiReCraZy
12-27-2009, 09:24 AM
sorry, wats an "md5"?

Clinton
12-27-2009, 04:26 PM
FiReCraZy, if you follow the instructions Harry gave you should find it.

FiReCraZy
12-28-2009, 12:07 PM
Sigh..way too confusing for me. Thanks anyway

Cerberus
01-03-2010, 06:43 AM
FiReCraZy, if you follow the instructions Harry gave you should find it.

I have run into exactly the same error and am having difficulty understanding the authentication issue. Am I to visually compare the sums for both the ISO file and corresponding MD5 file? If it is not identical, does that mean download was corrupted? Please assist a rookie on the most basic level.

Thanks,
Mark

Harry Kuhman
01-03-2010, 06:52 AM
Many tools, such as md5summer, will make the comparison for you automatically. But if you calculated a md5 checksum and have a number string of hex digits and a comparison wasn't made, then sure, compare the two manually, it will be very obvious if you have a natch or not. Due o the nature of the hash calculation it is extremely unlikely that it will just be off by a digit or two.

If the md5 is wrong then the file is corrupt. If it matches the file is good. Unfortunately, before the torrents became available I had about 50% bad files from the mirrors (and never had other bad downloads except Knoppix). So the md5 test is pretty important and useful.

mbrierst
04-28-2010, 05:00 AM
I have the same error. I know how to do an md5 sum, and my iso seems fine.

mbrierst
04-28-2010, 09:29 PM
My problem turned out to be a badly burned CD. They're tricky little guys. The ISO burning program gave no error and appeared to work fine, but when I did
dd if=/dev/cdrop of=image.iso the resulting iso was much smaller than the one I wanted to burn. Of course the md5 didn't match as well. I burned again with a better CD (bigger range of speeds allowed), and it worked fine.

krishna.murphy
04-29-2010, 01:14 AM
If your ISO is good, you can try burning again with a SLOW speed setting. Bad burns cause many of the problems like this. You can confirm that the burn was bad if you like by typing one of these:;)
knoppix testcd
knoppix testdvd

Cheers!
Krishna:mrgreen: